ID of "jumping fish" - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 06-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Trigger

Default ID of "jumping fish"

went fishing today off of HWY 90 in the Escambia River/Bay. There were tons of fish jumping clean out of the water. I was working a topwater bait and got a few strikes but never hooked up. What kind of fish are these jumping out of the water? Also, is it worth my time to try to fish for redfish in the grass that is around the area (from the bank). I tried fishing some Gulp shrimp under a popping cork, near the grass, but NOTHING. I've gotten skunked the past three times I've gone, I'm starting to get angry! haha. all advice welcome...
SemperFi-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via Yahoo to amberj
Default RE: ID of "jumping fish"

Probably Mullet, thats what I would bet. You can catch them on a hook, but honestly dont know how. I have just heard stories about it. We always caught them throwing a cast net. If your not familiar with a cast net do a search on google and see what you can find. If you are interested there are pleanty of us here on the forum that will help you out if you want to learn. A lot of us will eventeach for beer.

Did it look like this?? If so then it was Mullet
amberj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Quote:
SemperFi-sh (6/22/2008)went fishing today off of HWY 90 in the Escambia River/Bay. There were tons of fish jumping clean out of the water. I was working a topwater bait and got a few strikes but never hooked up. What kind of fish are these jumping out of the water? Also, is it worth my time to try to fish for redfish in the grass that is around the area (from the bank). I tried fishing some Gulp shrimp under a popping cork, near the grass, but NOTHING. I've gotten skunked the past three times I've gone, I'm starting to get angry! haha. all advice welcome...
????? Mullet

Years ago I shot them with a bow. I would stand on the deck of my Uncles ship (cargo) and shoot them as they swam beside us. Was in the Miami River.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Trigger

yeah, pretty sure that's what it was...wouldve been cool to catch one on a hook. as for the redfish, any advice...
Old 06-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Sailfish

Try live shrimp instead of gulps. Also focus on structure (pillings, oysters bars, etc.) andtry to catch amoving tidal current.
P-cola_Native is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Most...I say most Mullet caught by hook and line are caught in fresh/brackish water, although some can in fact be caught in saltwater this way. If you want to target Mullet with hook and line use a #6 or even a #8 hook. We used a dough ball made from most of you call "light bread"...wet lightlyand work into a ball if the bread isn't fresh. Fresh bread, just knead into small balls to put on hook. Like Bream fishing, caught many on bread. Some say worms and shrimpwill work, but I haven't tried them. Since Mullet feed on plant life, you can sometimes catch them on a piece of moss. Silver Mullet for bait, Black Mullet to eat. They are to me a fatty fish and I don't eat them, although others love them.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Sailfish

Do not waste your time trying to catch mullet on a rod and reel..they have very small mouths but they will eat a piece of corn or breadball..almost everyone who targets them uses a cast net..the smaller ones we call finger mullet are great bait for anything that swims..also the grass beds are good area for speckled trout..trying fishing dawn or dusk..your are on target with a popping cork and gulp but live shrimp or finger mullet also work great under the cork..
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Quote:
Dylan (6/22/2008)Do not waste your time trying to catch mullet on a rod and reel..they have very small mouths but they will eat a piece of corn or breadball..almost everyone who targets them uses a cast net..the smaller ones we call finger mullet are great bait for anything that swims..also the grass beds are good area for speckled trout..trying fishing dawn or dusk..your are on target with a popping cork and gulp but live shrimp or finger mullet also work great under the cork..
I'll second this:banghead

Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
Trigger

yeah I didn't want to eat the mullet, just trying to catch some fish. I'll try to go out earlier/later and see what I can hook up. also, where can I buy live shrimp in the Pace/Milton area? you guys are awesome...thanks for the advice
Old 06-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
Mingo

I don't know about Escambia Bay, but I always thought the fish I see jumping when I'm fishing the grass flats of Big Lagoonare ladyfish.
I'm not saying I'm right and others are wrong. Just curious. I've never caught a mullet but caught my share of ladyfish and they jump like crazy when hooked.
YakAttack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in