I need an explanation about a honey hole - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 06-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Trigger

Default I need an explanation about a honey hole

Here is a dilemma I cannot explain. Can someone give a good explanation??

There was a great honey hole next to a dock in the Sound that had a nearby large hole 11 feet deep(in 4 feet of water) and during the fall of 2006 and spring of 2007 I caught many nice redfish almost on the first cast from a boat. On one evening trip, my neighbor and I caught 18 redfish there(all catch and release).

One evening last fall we caught 4 nice reds(one on first cast) and a 7 pounder always casting a popping cork and gulp on the same spot. Then the next day, a storm and front came through roughing the waters over 2 days, and from then on not a redfish caught........many tries after the storm last fal, l during the spring of 2008 and now summer of 2008.....not a single redfish after hours of trying on many trips.

Can anyone give a logical or environmental answer to this? Thanks
Ajerv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: I need an explanation about a honey hole

two things come to mind. in your post you said "spring" and "fall" you caught fish. but then you post "spring" and "summer" you didnt catch fish. perhaps has nothing to do with the storm and everything to do with the season for THAT spot. other than that, i guess the storm could have filled up the hole? or brought in something foreign the fish dont like? you didnt mention if it is still 11ft depth surrounded by 4ft depth.

also the storm could have brought in hydorphylla or sargassom grass and filled the hole. redfish are sensitive to that type and stay clear. once grass is clear the redfish will return to their typical foraging patterns and fill the hole. okay, this last bit is made upoke
725 W Garden St (corner of A and Garden)
791-6607
[email protected]
http://www.pensacolaimports.com
freespool50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

all it takes is for muck to cover the bottom and it will kill it until the muck clears.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
Praedator
Grand Slam

From my limited experience, a hole is just something that can produce one day/week/month/year and not the next. The bottom of the bay is an everchanging landscape and it may just be that the nature of the hole just changed to the fish's dislike. Who knows really.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Trigger

Keep going back there. It will produce again. Just don't spend much time there, but always check it out. The fish move in and out. They might move in an hour after you leave. I also have heard from old-timers that the fish move down the sound in schools. For example, fishing might be hot in the narrows for a week, then hot in Navarre for a week, then hot at Tiger Point, etc. This was determined by various bait shops talking and comparing notes.
FreeLine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
Sailfish

I tell yall what..yall give me the locations of all these honey holes..ill take the boat, a few rods, and a swimming mask..and ill post the report when i get back
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in