I Love FLounder But Cant Seem To Catch It Need Help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 04-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default I Love FLounder But Cant Seem To Catch It Need Help

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl1_lblFullMessage>Fishing is great I am still new at It have been teaching myself and so far not so bad But when it comes to flounder I dont know what I am doing is there anyone who would like to give me some tips as far as where, How, and when. I do fish on shore and off bridges and piers. I dont have a boat but still love to Fish.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: I Love FLounder But Cant Seem To Catch It Need Help

I feel for you. The only luck I have on the Flounder is during the Fall run and sometimes in the spring. I just cannot figure out where they live any other time of the year. I am really interested in any advice that may be given. I fish shore, boat, and kayak but cannot find teh wiley flat fish...

Reading with anticipation,

Chris
chasintales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

I've had good luck trolling for them in my yak. A minnow-tipped jig head works, so long as it's heavy enough to bounce along the bottom. Do you have a yak?
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

No right now i dont i want one but just havent really looked. But i am going to just try a heavy jig head and try my luck
Old 04-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Try some bull minnows with a kahle hook. A1/2 oz egg on top a swivel with about a 14-16" light leader. Throw it out and then start dragging it across the bottom about a foot at a time and then stop for a few seconds. You will only feel one TAP, stop as soon as you feel it. Flounder eat like a bass and try to inhale it, but will then hold it till it dies. After the tap, let a little slack in your line, they are sensitive to tension. After a min or two try to drag the minnow away slowly. If there is any tension, set the hook! Sometimes in the shallows you can watch them follow your minnow for yards. If they do just stop and let it swim, they'll eat. If your around rocks, piers, pilons or any structure just "hop" your minnow 6-8" while slowly walking. Make sure you get a pic, I want to see one soon.

Skip
Old 04-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Grouper

The only real success I've had on Flounder came in west pass in Gulf Shores that connects Little Lagoon to the beach. I used the technique described in the prior post. Since getting a boat I never fished for flounder but catch quit a few while fishing for trout and reds. Usually on a zoom fluke on a jig head worked very slow along the bottom.
Jighead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
White Marlin

I also catch a bunch while fishing for reds but without a gig don't know how to target them. That is one fish that I catch in the same type of places I would in other parts of the state mostly creek mouths and mostly with a bait that is heavy but not in any large numbers. I have the best luck with a jig tipped with a 4" New Penny Gulp shrimp. I have used the Gulp mud minnow with success but it is made with different materials than the shrimp and is only good for one or 2 casts b/c the pin fish rip it. In Jacksonville live mud minnows where the ticket.I have seen a few people put reports on PFF about the water boardering Scenic HWY in Pensacola that caught a bunch of Flounder so you might want to try there. Let me know how the Scenic HWY spot pans out b/c it's been on my list of to do's for a while.
Bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Follow Lastcast's advice....dead-on. If you dont catch them that way- they aren't there.
Spinnfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Let me relate my initial experience with flounder- the first time I ever fished in Choctawhatchee Bay and the first time fishing out of a kayak was during a week's vacation about five years ago. I caught my limit every single morning within an hour and took my father-in-law a couple times as well to add a few more. We had a freezer full. I thought I was a flounder catching pro, and was beginning to wonder how many millions of them were in the bay...

Well, we went back there the next two years on the same week and I didn't even catch a single one. I think I have now been back over there about eight times and in only one trip did my brother-in-law catch two huge flatties on back to back casts...

I caught them that week on a double spec rig fishing slowly on bottom around shallow structure and sandbars. Since then, the majority of what I have caught out of my yak have been trolling Gulp shrimp while casting for specs and reds...
draper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for all the info and when i catch one i will send the pics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in