how should i fix up my reels for big inshore fish? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 12-26-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
Mingo

Default how should i fix up my reels for big inshore fish?

alright, i've got a question. i'm a light tackle flounder/whatever else hits fisherman that goes out to the pass alot. up until last year, the largest rod/reel setup i'd use was a penn 104cs w/ 14 lb test. We got a GPS for our boat, wanting to learn alot of the good inshore/VERY nearshore wrecks for grouper/snapper, and also wanting to learn the ins and outs of inshore king fishing, and of coure it'll be used for the annual bull red run as well. I'm taking out the mono, and gonna spool the 104cs with 30# suffix braid(it'll probably get 325 yds on there). i've got a 320gti on a MH rod right now, i'm bout to put it on the original slammer that it came with, and i've got an abu garcia spinning reel that i can put around 450 yds of 20# mono, which i will be using on the rod that the 320 is currently on. any tips on what to use for the 320? could i use 300yds of 30# braid as backing to increase capacity? i'd go all braid, but i don't have the money to go all braid. i've got a 1000yd spool of 20# sufix mono that i got for $9, and so far i've used sufix for 1 season, and i'm hooked, but my understanding is for kings, you need a loose drag so they don't short strike you and get a weak hookset that will be pulled out w/ tighter drag, and you need a higher capacity spool? i've never caught a king, and know nothing about it, but i DO know that i almost got spolled a few months ago when a bull red hit my light spinning reel, and i know a larger king could spool me no problem w/o enough line.

and i think for the big abu garcia, i'm going straight mono.
bwhite55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: how should i fix up my reels for big inshore fish?

A 320 with 20lb mono will hold Plenty for king fishing
Travis Gill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
White Marlin

agree a 200-300 yards of 20 # mono with a wire leader is all you would need. Without the wire leader, you will be cut off often. A large bulll will spool you quicker than a King.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Trigger

+1

You dont really need a loose drag on the kings...just a good drag system. A king will take a highspeed run at first but it wont be a 200 yard run...even a smoker king that normally make 2 or 3 runs wont normally take but 50 yards at a time. 300 yards of 20lb test with about 7 pounds of drag will bring in the biggest with no worries. I like braid for about all types of fishing...but with the Kings I preffer mono because it stretches and dont put as much stress on the reel...especially on the intial hit the can make or break a rod and reel combo.
F|nz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in