How to catch Bait - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree2Likes

Old 01-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default How to catch Bait

driving down from ohio with my kayak to fish Pcola Bay

Not sure how to catch live bait so I can use carolina rig from my kayak in the bay.

up here i just throw my cast net around the dam for shad lol totally different ballgame
ohiofisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Default Don't really need bait this time of year.

Rig up a 3 hook dropper rig with 2/0 hooks and bait with Mann's Stingray grubs. I prefer a pencil sinker on the bottom so it won't snag. Drift about anywhere in 10-20' and just bounce it up and down. (Weight depends on the depth and wind speed.) Have a marker buoy handy so you can mark significant fish.

You never know what you might catch but watch out for boats. Stay away from high traffic areas.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

sounds good I will try that from the kayak

Im staying along bayou texar would I be able to throw my cast net in spots somewhere along the bayou for bait or leave out a minnow trap overnight along the bank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 03:23 AM   #4
Sailfish

Depends on the time of year but I recall in the Spring years ago an inshore guide we booked went to the mouth of Texar to catch live menhaden in a cast net before we went out on the bay. For some reason I thought I remembered you saying you'd be staying in Navarre for your trip, but maybe my memory is failing (it does that).

During summer, if you come out of Texar and go west of the bridge, the concrete 'Barge dock' you see out there is a decent spot for live pinfish, as well. May even catch a few gray (aka mangrove) snapper or sheepshead if you're lucky.

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

I was supposed to stay in Navarre and Airbnb owner ‘cancelled’ so now bayou texar is where I’ll be.

The mouth of Texar will deff be a spot to try then.

Is it worth throwing the net along the shoreline/docks inside of the texar or leaving a bait trap out overnight? I’ll be in a kayak so going out into the bay and finding bait wouldn’t be able to throw the net then.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:25 AM   #6
Snapper

pinfish or crab traps will usually yield some decent bait. You can blindly throw the net, just be aware there are oyster beds, stumps, logs and other stuff down there that loves to eat cast nets lol. You can also use a small hook/weight/bobber off the docks usually to catch pinfish.

When throwing the net I usually try to make sure I'm visually seeing bait, but have caught some throwing blind as well.

If you're having trouble try throwing some rice or shrimp balls out around the dock and letting them marinate for a few hours, then throwing on top of them.

If you don't have live bait you can still do pretty good around here with artificials. I see people all the time fishing kayaks casting docks around the bayous.

Also, fishing dock lights at night is pretty cool.
rustybucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

good heads up on the trees eating nets. i just throw into the dam at the river and get endless shad. very easy but been reading many hours on this forum and just doesnt seem to be as easy so any advice is good advice right now.

The dock lights sounds pretty cool. where could I find those at? I keep checking google earth for things I see people talking about but doesnt seem to help too much.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiofisher View Post
good heads up on the trees eating nets. i just throw into the dam at the river and get endless shad. very easy but been reading many hours on this forum and just doesnt seem to be as easy so any advice is good advice right now.

The dock lights sounds pretty cool. where could I find those at? I keep checking google earth for things I see people talking about but doesnt seem to help too much.

Bait is usually feast or famine lol. Look for mullet, they are always around, that time of year the bait may be small up in the bayou.

Dock lights just ride around in the yak at night, you will see them. Some are underwater, some are above water, we have had success at both. If the dock you are staying at has a light be sure to keep it on all night when you are there, it doesn't take long for a light source to start attracting fish. If you have any floating lights from your freshwater fishing those can be productive as well. Nothing better/easier than a small pinfish on a bobber on the outskirts of a lighted dock.
rustybucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #9
Sailfish

do you know how to use a sabiki rig? check youtube for "how to" videos.

jack
Old 01-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in