Help for an Out of towner! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By H2OMARK
  • 1 Post By BananaTom
  • 1 Post By fishwhistlewill

Old 04-26-2018, 05:35 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Help for an Out of towner!

hey everyone. a friend on here referred me to this forum in hopes of getting some good information and told me this is the best place to find it. im originally from Bay Minette AL and currently reside in Wilmington NC and will be vacationing at Dauphin Island this year for the week of June 30th till July 8th and im really debating hauling my 18 ft skiff along with me for a fishing adventure in the lower mobile bay. my question(s) is would it be worth the effort to haul it down with me? would love to cover the lower bay from DIP over to the fort and if weather permits hit the dixie bar or maybe venture out to the rigs. i dont discriminate when it comes to species but would love to get on some gator trout or a tarpon. reds and jacks are pretty much a gimme from what i remember back in the day.(its been 15 years since i fished/lived in alabama) whats typical july weather for mobile bay any pointers tips tricks that could help me along the way would be greatly appreciated. might even have an available seat for any locals that might want to tag along for a free trip and help a fella out. thanks and tight lines

will
fishwhistlewill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018, 07:37 AM   #2
White Marlin

Absolutely. 18 foot skiff will get you to most places you want to go and will get you in the gulf on a good day. Snapper season comes in during your visit so maybe, just maybe you'll have weather good enough to hang one.
stc1993 and fishwhistlewill like this.
231 Proline WA (sold )
1902 Century Bay
14 Rogue Skiff
14 Big Jon Duck Boat
17 Pierre Marquette canoe
11 Ocean Kayak
H2OMARK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwhistlewill View Post
hey everyone. a friend on here referred me to this forum in hopes of getting some good information and told me this is the best place to find it. im originally from Bay Minette AL and currently reside in Wilmington NC and will be vacationing at Dauphin Island this year for the week of June 30th till July 8th and im really debating hauling my 18 ft skiff along with me for a fishing adventure in the lower mobile bay. my question(s) is would it be worth the effort to haul it down with me? would love to cover the lower bay from DIP over to the fort and if weather permits hit the dixie bar or maybe venture out to the rigs. i dont discriminate when it comes to species but would love to get on some gator trout or a tarpon. reds and jacks are pretty much a gimme from what i remember back in the day.(its been 15 years since i fished/lived in alabama) whats typical july weather for mobile bay any pointers tips tricks that could help me along the way would be greatly appreciated. might even have an available seat for any locals that might want to tag along for a free trip and help a fella out. thanks and tight lines

will
how long will you be local? if not very long, get a guide to find the fish for you instead of spending time figuring them out. 18 Ft skill in Mobile bay, even though I'm in Pensacola and know our waters, I'd hate to get caught in 18 Ft boat anywhere other than at the ramp with it on the trailer. I'm sure more inshore folks will chime in, but, my thoughts are above...
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
Grand Slam

I would
fishwhistlewill likes this.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:24 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

thanks for the reply guys. im looking forward to it. as i told my wife i would rather haul it down and not be able to use it than not haul it and have perfect weather all week and have to sit on land. its solid boat even though its only 18' ive had it in the rough NE atlantic ocean plenty and it does great so im not worried about rough weather or water.
BananaTom likes this.
fishwhistlewill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2018, 05:15 AM   #6
Mingo

Quote:
im not worried about rough weather or water.
until a summer thunderstorm.

Have fun and catch something.
fishinbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
White Marlin

Iffy weather, cruise the ICW and check out the sights. Head towards OB and stop at Lulus for lunch, cruise on over to Robinson Island, get out, hang out and drink a few beers with the locals. Plenty of things to do even if it's to rough to peak out the pass.
231 Proline WA (sold )
1902 Century Bay
14 Rogue Skiff
14 Big Jon Duck Boat
17 Pierre Marquette canoe
11 Ocean Kayak
H2OMARK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
thanks for the reply guys. im looking forward to it. as i told my wife i would rather haul it down and not be able to use it than not haul it and have perfect weather all week and have to sit on land. its solid boat even though its only 18' ive had it in the rough NE atlantic ocean plenty and it does great so im not worried about rough weather or water.
Before I moved here, we would vacation while visiting wife's parents. I would drag my 18ft Sea Pro CC down here every time. The weeks when the weather didn't cooperate and I didn't even get it in the water were always a bummer, but I was never sorry I brought it. I was, however, sorry I didn't bring it the few times I took that option, even at Christmas.

Bring it. There are plenty of places you can use the boat. I can't help on strategy, I've never been on Mobile Bay. Hope you have fun!

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in