Help Get Me Started - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree8Likes

Old 05-31-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
Trigger

Send a message via Yahoo to SLICK75
Default Help Get Me Started

Ive never been really big on bay fishing but Im starting to change my mind just out of boredom.

Ive been chasing bass all over since I was 14 and ready to reel something a little different. Problem is, I have no idea where to start. Got no idea what to go fishing for, no idea what bag limits are, no idea what fish have seasons and what they are... pure newb here.

My intention, at least to start with, is to use my normal tackle- Ambassador reels, medium to medium heavy rods, and my boat.

First off, most of my reels are strung with either 10 or 12 lb line. Should I start looking at rigging up with something a little higher? Maybe a good braid at least?

Leaders- obviously some of them critters out there have mouths full of razors that make short work of mono line. I have at least one roll of 25 lb line laying around (no idea where it even came from), would that stand up any better or should I go invest in some steel leaders? How long?

Tackle. This is where I always go way overboard. I have stuff in my tackle box thats never seen water, I dont want to go even deeper into debt stocking up on stuff that doesnt work or I wont use because I find a 'secret weapon'. Whats a few of the more common lures?

I have fished with shrimp off piers a time or two in the distant past and even spent a day with my brother on his deck boat catching mango(?) snapper on the Destn jetty but that was more than 10 years ago but that pretty much sums up my saltwater experience.
My concern is my boat has a 'freshwater' trolling motor. I know that saltwater is a no-no, does the bay qualify as a no-no?

Im sure more will questions will pop up but that should be enough to get the juices flowing.
SLICK75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

10 lb. Test line is what I use for trout , reds, and flounder. As far your boat , just flush the engine when you get home and wash your trolling motor off while you're cleaning the boat. Buy a couple of mirrodine lures and a couple packs of curly tail grubs and a pack or two of jig heads. If you're a bass fishermen ,odds are you already have some lures that will work for specks and reds , such as your top water plugs and jerk baits.
Kim and SLICK75 like this.

Last edited by THE POMPANO KING; 06-01-2014 at 03:01 AM.
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Grouper

Introduce yourself to the popping cork, a jighead, and fluorocarbon leader material. And check YouTube for Redfish and Speckled Trout vids. Plenty of good info out on the web.
SLICK75 likes this.
UncleMilty7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPERKING View Post
10 lb. Test line is what I use for trout , reds, and flounder. As far your boat , just flush the engine when you get home and wash your trolling motor off while you're cleaning the boat. Buy a couple of mirrodine lures and a couple packs of curly tail grubs and a pack or two of jig heads. If you're a bass fishermen ,odds are you already have some lures that will work for specks and reds , such as your top water plugs and jerk baits.
Excellent, thanks. I can see whats going to happen here, Im going to go out there and hang into something and get hooked. I just dont want to spend a fortune on stupid stuff just because I took a stroll through the saltwater aisle at Bass Pro. If I eventually wind up with a totally separate tackle box full of stuff thats fine, I just dont want it to be the first trip.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
Trigger

What about time of day? Do I need to learn to start tracking tides?

I was actually half way considering going today but I think Ive blown too much time. Its after noon now and Im not sure if the weather is going to hold long enough to get loaded up, get my license and back down to the south end of the county. Be my luck the daily storm will hit about the time I get my rods out of the locker 5 miles from the boat ramp.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLICK75 View Post
What about time of day? Do I need to learn to start tracking tides?

I was actually half way considering going today but I think Ive blown too much time. Its after noon now and Im not sure if the weather is going to hold long enough to get loaded up, get my license and back down to the south end of the county. Be my luck the daily storm will hit about the time I get my rods out of the locker 5 miles from the boat ramp.
The first 4 or 5 hours of day and the last 4 or 5 hours tend to be best. However strong tidal movement can trumph this. I prefer to fish while the water is either rising or falling. Non moving water tends to produce poor results.
SLICK75 likes this.
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
Trigger

I would say 50% of your bass lures will work for reds on any give day. Spinners, spoons, and cranks. I went to a redfish seminar and I have not tried this technique out yet, but the guy had pictures that it worked. But he took d-17s or r-17 cranks that could dive 12+ feet with big bills and fish the flats with them. When you scrape the sand it has a look of like a fish picking for crabs and it makes the reds go crazy. I had some of those from bass fishing that I want to try. But like others said a jig and gulp shrimp will always works.
SLICK75 likes this.
Blazerz65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerz65 View Post
I would say 50% of your bass lures will work for reds on any give day. Spinners, spoons, and cranks. I went to a redfish seminar and I have not tried this technique out yet, but the guy had pictures that it worked. But he took d-17s or r-17 cranks that could dive 12+ feet with big bills and fish the flats with them. When you scrape the sand it has a look of like a fish picking for crabs and it makes the reds go crazy. I had some of those from bass fishing that I want to try. But like others said a jig and gulp shrimp will always works.
Thats great news, maybe some of those cranks I never use will come in handy after all. Im not really a big crankbaiter even for bass, something about those treble hooks and hidden stumps that make me tremble. But dragging one across sand and grass for a red might just be why Ive held on to them for as long as I have.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Snapper

Man I'm telling you from one saltwater newby to another...start with a popping cork! Pick up 2(one for a spare) from dang near anywhere. They are a few bucks a piece. I like the brand Cajun Thunder A 10-12 mono main line and leader will be fine. Use a smallish circle hook tipped with a live shrimp or a gulp shrimp(they last longer). I just moved here in march and I've caught sooo many fish with simple rig. I'm talking reds, specks, drum, ladyfish and of course catfish. There is always action on the flats with them!!
Simonj31 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Grouper

Send a message via Yahoo to Magic Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerz65 View Post
That's new to me... worth a shot
Magic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in