Gulp - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 08-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Gulp

Hi guys, I have never fished these baits called Gulp shrimp, for one reason I could almost buy live bait for what they cost butwhat color do you find the most productive in these inshore waters?? I have no idea which color to buy. :bowdown
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: Gulp

Gulps are great. They are pretty durable and can be recharged in the Juice if you can keep them from leaking. 3" new penny shrimp are great for trout and redfish. If you are fishing the weed beds they do last longer when being nailed by the pinfish than live or dead shrimp do. I would recommend if you buy one of the pint size or bigger cans of them to put them and the liquid in something else because they will leak and you can not get that smell out very easily. Hope this helps.
flatsfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Ive never had any luck with the Gulp baits myself, but my friends swear by the New Penny and Nuclear Chicken colors. They like the 3" and 4" shrimp style.
FSUhooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
Grouper

ive never had any use for gulp, my friends always use it but i just stick with the ole fashion non sented artificials [crankbiats, jigs, topwater]

at the end of the day im generally have a few more fish in the box than they do also

out of the many times i have tried gulp this is all i seem to catch:banghead

this is whatI catch with artificials

850-530-2686
https://www.facebook.com/birdofpreyfishingtackle
snakeman14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
Grouper

Send a message via AIM to specslayer

i have a peanut butter jar full of molting color 3 and 4" shrimp and blue or new penny jerk shad. ive had days where nothings biting then you throw down a gulp and get something...i dont care what you say about gulp but in the wintergo to the three mile andthrow a 4" shrimp down on a jig head and you will catch a nice fish whether its a big white trout, red, or whiting
specslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
Sailfish

I like them a lot for inshore fishing. The gulp baits are many times more durable than a live bait, and are much less trouble than live bait. I like them for trout and flounder. I don't really buy them that much though, I'm more of a hard bait guy when it comes to inshore (spoons, topwater plugs, etc.).
true-king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
Snapper

Gulp is as close as you can get to magic at 3 mile...and I have never caught a sting ray on gulp, but I have caught white trout, specks, reds, blues, skipjack, spanish, and even a few sail cats....here is a pic of what we catch with gulp.....
Glastronix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
CCC
Grand Slam

So question, how do you fish them. I have limited experience with them, but tried them under a popping cork and got nothing, should I be constantly twitching under the cork, or should I just let them sit on the bottom ?

Also if you want to recharge the scent go to a Oriental grocery store and buy a bottle of fish sauce, I hear it works great (just not for me)
Old 09-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
Sailfish

Stop messing around and wasting money on Gulps, but Z-Man shrimp :bowdown I'll take action over scent in a shrimp
JoshH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Mingo

Tried gulp, have friends that catch with them not much luck for me. They stink like doody and I don't know of anything in the drink that smells like them. Not much faith in them and I will be the first to switch it out for live bait. I still think that 9 out of ten times you can't entice a fish with a lure like live will. I find fish with lures. If I know fish are there I will use live or fresh only. I think bigger, older fish are a little wiser and not as aggressive with something that that is not natural to them. Oddly enough my favorite lure is a big hunk of metal with a hook (JIG).
Lil Skeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in