grouper game face on ! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 11-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #1
Trigger

Default grouper game face on !

okie dokie, here we go. Taking boat out for grouper search in Pensacola bay from pass to Bob Sikes. Trolling bright pink stretch25, going to chum from chum cage on bottom and use cut bait (mullet and lady fish) along with some shrimp when bottom fishing.. Bringing 2 sheepshead rigs in case we run up on them as well. we shall see what transpires, and any tips from the pro;s here is always sought As always, pics will follow if any luck and hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and a safe week.
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
Grand Slam

You may want to run a trolling weight 16 oz or so with a long leader back to the stretch. That helps keep the lure down and lets you run slow. Just fast enough to keep the weight off the bottom. That's all I got.
"Don't sweat the petty stuff.... and never pet the sweaty stuff."
-------
"Don't get rid of a boat that's paid for or a woman that cooks, no matter what they look like."
-------
"The lower your standards the luckier you get"
-------
"I tried to make it to the nipple, but just got the elbow."
hjorgan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Default Consider trolling the Stretch 30 and 40 in deeper water.

I really hate trolling sinkers in front of Stretches. Two rods are plenty. Do you know how to tune a Stretch to where it runs perfectly straight or if it jumps out of the water? Very simple fix. If the Stretch jumps out of the water to the left, you need to trim a tiny bit off the right side if the lip. Note: Hold the lure in your left hand with the lip facing you just like it will be facing when trolling. Hooks down.

<left, trim right
>right, trim left

Use a very sharp knife and trim the bill at its widest point. It seldom takes more than a single scrape, don't cut off a chunk.

I've trolled Stretches thousands of miles and, other than when they catch grass, mine seldom tangle.

Note: To keep from catching Kingfish, remove the rear hooks. Won't hurt your Grouper catch and cuts way back on the Kingfish.
Marking your line gives you an idea of where your lure is. The bigger lures catch bigger fish. I've caught lots of decent Grouper on the Stretch 50 when dinks were keeping me too busy.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Good tips there. I hate to spend good money on a lure then have to work on it to get it to run true. Switched to rapalas and no problems with them jumping on me. Those stretchs do have an action that seems to work great on redfish and grouper though. May have to break them back out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
I really hate trolling sinkers in front of Stretches. Two rods are plenty. Do you know how to tune a Stretch to where it runs perfectly straight or if it jumps out of the water? Very simple fix. If the Stretch jumps out of the water to the left, you need to trim a tiny bit off the right side if the lip. Note: Hold the lure in your left hand with the lip facing you just like it will be facing when trolling. Hooks down.

<left, trim right
>right, trim left

Use a very sharp knife and trim the bill at its widest point. It seldom takes more than a single scrape, don't cut off a chunk.

I've trolled Stretches thousands of miles and, other than when they catch grass, mine seldom tangle.

Note: To keep from catching Kingfish, remove the rear hooks. Won't hurt your Grouper catch and cuts way back on the Kingfish.
Marking your line gives you an idea of where your lure is. The bigger lures catch bigger fish. I've caught lots of decent Grouper on the Stretch 50 when dinks were keeping me too busy.
"Don't sweat the petty stuff.... and never pet the sweaty stuff."
-------
"Don't get rid of a boat that's paid for or a woman that cooks, no matter what they look like."
-------
"The lower your standards the luckier you get"
-------
"I tried to make it to the nipple, but just got the elbow."
hjorgan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

I've put 3 or 4 stretches away because I could never get them to act right. I'll have to dig those out soon and try it. Thanks Ken!
MixMasterMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
Trigger

Default Friday 11|24

No grouper on our outing. No sheeps or reds. Lost my chum basket (you GOT to have it tied off !!!) BUT...a great day on the water after some early issues and very thankful for love , sunshine, and life Baby kept me busy for a solid 90 minutes with one large cat after annutha !! Fun rod bending I took a small shark (not sure of kind..not black tip or spinner or bull) . All fish released in good shape and found some new spots to fish. First time I have ever seen that LINE of boats going from close to shore southward side to side by CG station. Like a huge fleet of fishing vessles lol !!! Wanted to see the bottom over there as we were looking for rocky grouper type area, but was too intimidated by the boats lined up and running to and fro, We just stayed way away and chilled That's my report...will stay on this area tho till we figure it out. It looks like a well known area.. Stay salty my friends !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jshark2.jpg (335.6 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Lcat2.jpg (332.0 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by softbutchharley; 11-25-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: add pics
softbutchharley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in