Green as the grass - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Green as the grass

I've learned a ton ghosting on this site the past few weeks. My family and I are heading down to FWB from Arkansas this weekend. I'm hoping to do some fishing from the shore/piers/gulf side/sound side. Fishing for Reds and Trout seems like what would probably work good for me and my son. I've been bass and crappie fishing since I was kid. Sounds similar from all I have read. My problem is I have no idea where there is public access to the Santa Rosa sound or the surf side for that matter. Would someone point me in the general direction. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Bradley Easter
Springdale, AR
bdeaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeaster View Post
I've learned a ton ghosting on this site the past few weeks. My family and I are heading down to FWB from Arkansas this weekend. I'm hoping to do some fishing from the shore/piers/gulf side/sound side. Fishing for Reds and Trout seems like what would probably work good for me and my son. I've been bass and crappie fishing since I was kid. Sounds similar from all I have read. My problem is I have no idea where there is public access to the Santa Rosa sound or the surf side for that matter. Would someone point me in the general direction. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Bradley Easter
Springdale, AR
It's a good bit different from bass and crappie fishing because you have to deal with bait, tides, and some other issues. The public access on the beach side is pretty obvious if you drive west. Sound/bay side, your best bet is Ft. Pickens which is at the the end part of the beach road as you drive west. There is a huge fishing pier on the north side of 3 mile bridge (Pensacola). There's also a pier/boardwalk on the beach; not sure if they allow fishing, someone else here can probably tell you more about it. Have fun.

I would suggest hitting up one of the tackle shops like Gulf Breeze Bait and Tackle or Hot Spots, since you will be out in the beach area.

aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
OSOK
Blue Marlin

You can fish any public beach access unless it is marked no fishing, like the state park at navarre beach. Sound side you can try Liza Jackson park or the one over by Sammy's on Okaloosa Island, I'm not sure of the name. Also, I always see people fishing from the navarre bridge in the sound.

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
Trigger

pretty much anywhere in the gulf thats not a public swimming spot is good for fishing. sound side ive went behind red lobster in shalimar to the right of the boat ramp. its iffy there though. some homeboy always takes his souped up jetski out there and likes to run right over my bait
Bump_N_Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

I saw a flounder skipping across the water like a flat stone once in Mexico Beach but I think the 8' Hammer Head right on his tail mightofhave had something to do with
seniyajw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Try the Navarre pier- http://www.fishnavarre.com/Navarre_Pier_Today.php
keninnavarre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

If your staying in fwb try the pier there. As soon as you come over the first bridge take a right at the gas station and go down that road take a right about a quarter of the way down and just ride the roads looking for a vacant lot.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Snapper

The Okaloosa Island pier is the closest to you, as already mentioned. Pier fishing is a bit of art, what with competing with other anglers for spotted fish, needing a pier gaff or net to land larger fish, etc. The east end of the island, right before the Destin bridge, has good fishing on both the north (shallower water with grass) and south (deeper water with grass and rocks ) sides. You can park on either side of the road on the west end of the bridge. Do you have a spinning or bait casting rig in the 10-15 lb range? Use that around the bridge. Fish with live shrimp suspended from a popping cork in shallow (3-6 ft) water or on a Carolina rig with a weight suitable for the current in deeper water. Artificials (spoons, Gotcha plugs, jigs with grubs etc.) are good to cast blindly or at spotted fish or bait schools. Try to fish a falling tide.

Reply or PM if you need to know more about rigging, lures, etc.

Read this post also, lots of fun to be had along the beaches right now: https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...e-crazy-92336/
Naby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in