Getting Skunk'd - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Land-Locked
Grouper

Default Getting Skunk'd

Alright, looking for some suggestions as to where we can fish and actually catch something in pensacola... Hell I'd be happy to put us on a bunch of gafftops. Don't have a boat so it needs to be accessible by foot.

So far we've fished the sea wall at the base of 3MB pier, sea wall on the other side of 3mb, Graffiti bridge, Big Lagoon St. Park, Bob Sikes and Ft. Pickens (inside the pass, but not on the pier). Fishing from 2pm until 8 or 9pm. Fishing with 1/0 or 2/0 circle hooks, 20lb flouro leader, 15lb test. Sometimes on a popping cork, sometimes carolina rig, sometimes pompano rig. Live shrimp, dead shrimp, pin fish, live mullet, mullet chunks, live menhaden, crabs, bull minnows, sand fleas etc. The only thing we've caught was one 12" red, and a 10" mingo, and a handful of croaker on octopus. (lots of Pinfish and Pigfish too )

Whenever I fish alone in GS/OB/WB/DI I never do this bad. I wish I could bring them all to fish in Alabama, but alas I can not.

Last edited by BrakeTurnAccelerate; 10-22-2012 at 06:55 PM.
BrakeTurnAccelerate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
White Marlin

You can catch trout all night long on 3mb pier. Big reds usually run through there between midnight and 3am.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

Well, as a licensed fishician, I'd have to say you're just not holding yer lip right. Sounds like everything else is in order. Just gotta put your time in. If I just wanted to catch anything, I'm with Breeze, 3mi at night. I like an outgoing tide, to fish the shadow line of the main bridge.
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
Sailfish

Default Getting Skunked

I wouldn't know because I never get 'skunked'. I always catch fish. C2
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
Land-Locked
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie2 View Post
I wouldn't know because I never get 'skunked'. I always catch fish. C2
Cool story.
BrakeTurnAccelerate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Grouper

Location: live in Baton Rouge but have a condo in Pensacola Beach

It is easy to always catch fish. Every time I go to Joe Patti's, I make throw me the bagged fish. If you drop it, then make them throw it to you until you catch it yourself !

Seriously, besides the nite fishing the bridges, try wade fishing the grass flats around the Naval Oaks area. Even better get a couple of buddys together and charter a trip with one of the local guides that specializes in fishing around the sound. I learned a lot that way by fishing with Capt. Wes Rozier over the last couple of years.
lsucole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Default Florida Town Road in Pace: Wade Fishing

Here's what I have been doing until a week ago--when my boat rehab was finally complete:
Go up to Pace just east of Chet's off HWY 90--turn right on Floridatown road. Take this road all the way until it ends at the boat ramp. Wade out straight from the boat ramp until you are either 25-50 yards past the pilings sticking out of the water or out as far as where all of the mullet and trout are stirring the water (about 100 yds from ramp in 3-4 ft of water). Using either live shrimp or gulp shrimp on a popping rig--you should be able to catch some trout and reds. This has been a no-brainer goto spot for me and my son for the last several weeks. The water up there is still around 70 F (warm enough to wade). You will catch fish if you do this--especially if you can hit it at first light thru 10 am and 4pm-6pm.
enjoy
baycoastal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Sailfish

Default Catching Fish

I was kidding and you know it. I do get 'skunked' sometimes; but you won't hear about it! I'll have to remember the 'Joe Patti' trick.

I make and fish with jigs in various ways. Don't get me started talking about jig fishing. Bring your popcorn!

I fish the beach , piers and the flats in the Bay. All with various jig configurations.

BTW; I don't 'spot burn'. Thanks for asking!

Have a nice day! C2
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie2 View Post
I was kidding and you know it. I do get 'skunked' sometimes; but you won't hear about it! I'll have to remember the 'Joe Patti' trick.

I make and fish with jigs in various ways. Don't get me started talking about jig fishing. Bring your popcorn!

I fish the beach , piers and the flats in the Bay. All with various jig configurations.

BTW; I don't 'spot burn'. Thanks for asking!

Have a nice day! C2
I wouldnt mind hooking up with ya some time at one of the piers and seeing how to jig fish... Hear bout it alot, and try what I consider jig fishing, but never catch anything....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in