Getting set up for wading - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree11Likes

Old 08-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Getting set up for wading

Several people have shown some interest in my setup, so here's a few details. This floating fish basket/workstation has been a lifesaver. Bringing supplies any other way was not working for me as I wade through some neck deep areas an have even swam across channels to get to where I am going. This has allowed me total freedom to go where I want and keep everything dry.

The main base for this basically a life ring, but is made for wading with a net designed around it to keep fish alive. Works very well and fish are usually very lively after hours of fishing and they don't struggle while in it like when on a stringer. Bought mine at Academy I believe for around $15.

I made this out of 3/8" and 1/4" plywood and fiberglassed it but only used cloth on the joints of the wall section. Flat section is cracking so next time would use cloth on everything. Lasted 3 years so far so can't complain. Size is 18"x22". The shape is designed to make it easier to carry to and from the water. The wall helps keep water from splashing over onto drinks and tackle. Drilled 3 holes with hole saw for lipgrip, de-hooker, and scissors. Drilled a few holes on the flat section and attached to the foam ring with zip ties. These holes also work well for drainage. Will use and recommend rope for this as the zip ties tend to break rather quickly. I bring a small waterproof tackle box to keep my phone and tackle dry. Hope this helps give some ideas. Any questions let me know, Ill be glad to answer. Here's some pics:

Jeffbro999 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

This is flat out amazing. Quite an inspiration to a shore locked wannabe like me.
LIM-IT-OUT likes this.
Johnson11c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Sailfish

Thanks, that's great to hear that it gave you some inspiration

Old 08-13-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Mingo

Genius. Are you not worried about sharks coming after your catch in the "net bucket"
LIM-IT-OUT likes this.
wde414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2015, 11:36 PM   #5
Sailfish

Not at all. Have had numerous encounters with dolphins and the fish stayed very calm hidden behind the net. Never had any problems with sharks.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
Trigger

Thinking about making something like this to hang off the yak when anchored or slow drifting. Space is always at a premium. Maybe without the fish basket.
LIM-IT-OUT likes this.

Last edited by Cory S.; 08-15-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Cory S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
Trigger

nice set up! Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and discription of your tackle bouy. Ive been wanting to build one for a while. There are some commercial floats out there but its always more interesting to see what people create to suit their own needs.
LIM-IT-OUT likes this.
ranger250x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
Grouper

Flat out awesome! Great post
LIM-IT-OUT likes this.
Cant.Git.Enuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
Kim
Blue Marlin

Jeff, your styrofoam ring, you just used one like you get at a craft shop for making a wreath? I looked at my dive float and canceled that idea, Red Fish spines and a rubber inner tube won't mix well. Next time I'm near a store with craft supplies I'll be working on mine.
LIM-IT-OUT likes this.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

Do I smell a patent pending hahaha people would love to walk into their local bnt shop and pick one up. I know I would. Although their is a sence of satisfaction of making your own and fabricating to your own personal wants and needs. Tight lines yall im interested to see what kind of handy work yall come up with. Post final product with pics Im thinking of making one with a GPS unit and a google Earth imaging screen.... that would be a bad to the bone wade float.

Last edited by LIM-IT-OUT; 08-15-2015 at 02:47 PM.
LIM-IT-OUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in