Garr help... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 01-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Garr help...

Hi, I'm looking to catch a garr. I've seen them cruising my dock, and been next to a boat that caught one off my chum slick (hand crushed pilchards) at Elvis's dock (a very good deep water dock in destin)

I was Wondering...

1) if all the dead mullet would act a s a natural chum for the fish? bringing them in to the bayou.

2) is natural bait the only way to catch them?

3) how does this water temp affect them?

4) Any one ever target them?

Thanx for you input.:letsdrink
AaronBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: Garr help...

we used to catch them all the time in texas. now if your eating them i wouldnt waist my time if they are less than 3 feet. take a mullet and fillet him but turn the fillet skin side in wrapped around a trebble hook and carolina rig it, back off on your drag till its almost free spool. when he hits let him run for longer that a solid 5 sec. run. then just crank up the drag and pull him in.

pm me if your cleaning them to eat.
usaf medic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Mingo

I've used nylon rope alot and it is the best method in my opinion, and I have caught a lot of gar. All you need is some nylon twine and double it over till its big round as your thumb cut one end and fray as much as you can and then tie up the front end and put a swivel on it. Just throw it out and twitch it around, and once you catch one just rip it out and do it again! Good Luck!
Catfish Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
Grand Slam

We used to target them just to have fun with em. We always used small live or small cut strips. Put a cork 6-12 inches above the bait, deff let them run with it after they pick it up, they sort of mouth it like a flounder. Also heard about the nylon, but never tried it.

Skip
Old 01-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Snapper

I can only answer question number 2 (is natural bait the only way to catch them?). I caught 0ne while using a gold Rattle Trap in the East Bay.

NJD
nojerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
Trigger

Here you go...

This should get you started. The guy in the video uses a machete to clean it. I always used tin snips or those cut-a-penny trauma shears the paramedics use. Haven't cleaned one in years. There's some other related videos. Most of them over hype the danger part. Any bait fish will work. Use a light wire leader and a treble hook (if it's legal where you live).

They can live a long time out of water (half-lung type, like a bowfin). Keep your hands away from the mouth and you'll be fine.

Don't eat the eggs. Gar eggs (roe) are toxic. Not like a bowfin's eggs. But I've never eaten bowfin eggs either - pricey when you call them caviar!

BT
biminitwist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
Mingo

this is taken for the florida fishing regs.<P class=Body>(NOTE: It is illegal to possess grass carp or alligator gar without a permit.)

<TABLE id=table8 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD><P class=Body></TD><TD><P class=Body>Triploid grass carp are used for aquatic vegetation control and may not be stocked or harvested without a permit. They grow to over 40 pounds.</TD></TR><TR><TD><P class=Body></TD><TD><P class=Body>Alligator gar are found only in the panhandle rivers and grow to more than 120 pounds. Their gator like snout is distinct. Due to limited numbers, harvest is restricted.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
CAJUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

I caught a spotted gar this summer. I put a finger mullet on the hook, casted it out, stuck the pole in the dock, and went up to the house to eatlunch. When I got back I reeled in a spotted gar. You definetly dont want to give one a kiss on the lips.
Rocky Creek Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
Grouper

Make sure you know what you catch if you keep it. The real big ones, 4+ feet that you catch in the bays in salt and brackish water are illegal to keep I believe. There are a smaller kind that live in the rivers and lakes that are legal, they are freshwater gar. Like I said, if you keep it make sure it is legal.
baldona523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in