Frustrated need suggestions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree5Likes

Old 07-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Frustrated need suggestions

Hello folks, I need some help. I'm not catching anything but catfish and rays with the occasional sea robin, small flounder, and beer bottle. I've tried the Intercoastal at Johnson's and Big Lagoon. I've tried the end of Palafox, the Pensacola Fishing Pier, and a few places on base.

What am I doing wrong? I fish almost every day from 4-8ish and can't catch any real "food fish". I'm using mono line and 3 different poles. A 2 oz pyramid or egg weight attached to a swivel. I'm using a mono 18" leader with a circle hook or bait hook. I've tried using cut bait from catfish, frozen finger mullet both whole and cut, fresh and frozen shrip, artificial fish strips, frozen menhaven both whole, and cut. I've also tried using a cork attached to my leader to keep the bait off the bottom.

Does anyone have a tried and true method for catching dinner other than a boat and a really good guide?
eternalbbfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Sailfish

as noted on another post started past day or so, it is really slow right now on the flats. Best fishing is early morning or evening. If you're in a boat go find a channel edge next to a flat or go fish bridge/dock pilings. Fishing up the river mouths might be an idea also (I had good luck north of highway 90 bridge last August).
If all else fails watch the Crocodile Dundee movies again and observe how he lights and tosses the dynamite ....
TeaSea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Yes- water temp is up, fish are looking for cooler water. Probably a good time to fish the dock lights at night. And like said, fishing deeper water will produce better results. The edges of channels and drop-offs. Depending on current and tide, mornings and evenings may be better.
Grass flats and shallows will probably be really slow until fall and cooler temps.
UncleMilty7 likes this.

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- [email protected]
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
Mingo

Get yourself a gotcha and 20 lb wire leader and go to the beach pier again and go 3/4 of the way down and throw it out and jig and reel. You'll catch spanish, bluefish, lady fish, hardtail, etc.
PierGoogan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Grouper

From the pier, sabiki hard tail and whatever baitfish is around. Take them live and toss it out, much better chances with live bait.
Bravo87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
Trigger

Don't feel bad I have a boat and doin about the same...New to this and gets pretty boring catchin cats!! I hate slime!! Got into a bunch of specks once but all under 12"..I have fished sunup till sundown.. around the clock same ole do do! cat cat cat!! one ladyfish.. even paid for a charter..and cats! one keeper trout at dusk. 200 bucks a fillet...lol might just spend this weekend at crab island and watch the kitty's..
1199 Hummingbird HD Side /Down imaging
Disclaimer: Anything posted from me is knowledge and experiences above then Mason-Dixon line, I'm sure it will be considered invalid!
Skeeterdone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
Sailfish

Is that 4-8AM or PM? This time of year the water heats up fast and stays hot till well after dark so fish are pretty lazy most of the day. That leads into the next problem which is soaking bait on the bottom. This time of year, you're best bet is to fish artificial lures which provoke fish to bite from reaction strikes not necessarily from hunger.

Your best bet is topwater first thing in the morning until a little after sun-up. After that, may as well go home and wait till after it get's dark again. Night-time docklights should be good this time of year. Go take a walk West from shoreline park and let us know what happens.

The other thing is to hire a guide and see what they do. I know it seems like a lot of money up front but compare that to spending thousands of $$$ and hundreds of hours over the next 5 years trying to figure it out on your own.

Good luck!
Alex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
Grouper

just echoing what other people have said.... 4-8 it's gonna be hot and your fish are going to move to deeper/cooler water... +1 on the artificial baits as well, or live baits... like otehrs have said... wait until a couple hours after dark and hit the lights... throw shrimp, gulp, m17 mirrodines, storm paddle tails, or just about anything honestly to the edge of the light and retrieve
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2008 Sea Hunt BX21 Pro 150 Yamaha 4-stroke
stauty trout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stauty trout View Post
just echoing what other people have said.... 4-8 it's gonna be hot and your fish are going to move to deeper/cooler water... +1 on the artificial baits as well, or live baits... like otehrs have said... wait until a couple hours after dark and hit the lights... throw shrimp, gulp, m17 mirrodines, storm paddle tails, or just about anything honestly to the edge of the light and retrieve
Dumb question..do the fish ambush from the dark?
1199 Hummingbird HD Side /Down imaging
Disclaimer: Anything posted from me is knowledge and experiences above then Mason-Dixon line, I'm sure it will be considered invalid!
Skeeterdone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeterdone View Post
Dumb question..do the fish ambush from the dark?
Not a dumb question. They sit out in the dark and wait, facing toward the light and wait for a target to come into the light and they usually attack when it is going out again into that interface area toward the dark. Same as they do on a grass flat. In the grass, looking into the sand pockets
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in