fly fishing technique - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
White Marlin

Default fly fishing technique

When I fished the Black Creek in Green Cove Springs as a kid with my stepdad (a lifetime ago), we'd roll the fly line on top of the water like you'd roll a loop in a garden hose you were trying to un-kink. In other words, we'd get a lot of line out of the reel and start whipping the rod so that a big loop in the line would roll down on the surface of the water to the end and plop the 6' mono leader and cricket right in between two lily pads. I could confidently place that live cricket in a spot the size of a coffee cup. We used no weight other than the hook, and that cricket would slowly sink. We used to come back sometimes with 30 or 40 bream and copperheads.

I read about people using fly rods inshore, and I'm wondering if you make like a trout fisherman and whip the line in the air, or are you rolling it on the water like we used to. I'm not very accurate using a casting rod, so I stay a good distance away from the docks, but using my technique I could hit a saucer with no problem.

Input?
nathar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

I personally whip my line opposed to rolling it, but thats because I'm using too heavy of a lure. I do roll it as well when using light flies, but I tend to use heavier ones that just can't be rolled.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
White Marlin

Would specs or reds hit on a light fly?
60hertz likes this.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Of course. Specs and reds love the right fly. Ones that mimic the creatures they like to snack on. Shrimp, crab, and baitfish imitations and sometimes the fly looks like a mixture of those so it sparks their curiosity. I wouldnt really call casting a lure fly fishing. But to each their own I guess.

Google something like "sight fishing reds on fly" and watch some videos. Just as affective as using spin gear but its a lot harder so most people don't bother.
HReid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

My best evening over in Navarre with one other person was a 137 trout under the lights. All the trout were between 15 and 23 inches taken on #8 white Clauser minnow. Plus there isn't a darn thing hard about throwing a fly rod, or learning how. Don't believe it, come talk to me
nathar likes this.
shadowwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
Grouper

Location: Cordova Park Pensacola, and Navarre at William's Creek

I use a roll cast in NC rivers where there isn't room for a back cast. I use a normal cast in the sound with nothing behind me to worry about in the back cast. My favorite way to catch specks and reds, and the best producer is a small clouser in white/chartreuse.
60hertz likes this.
First Cast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
White Marlin

Ah, it's called "roll casting." I'll try it with those lures this fall. Thanks all!
Old 08-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #8
White Marlin

Damn! I just watched a youtube video on tying a Clouser minnow. I don't need another hobby! It looks addictive, though.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
Grouper

Location: Cordova Park Pensacola, and Navarre at William's Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathar View Post
Damn! I just watched a youtube video on tying a Clouser minnow. I don't need another hobby! It looks addictive, though.
An easy fly to tie, and you can vary the size of the lead eyes and colors to fit the conditions and match the hatch. I've heard clousers will work for almost any fish, salt or fresh water.
First Cast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Very addictive. My wife gives me grief because I spend more time tying flies than I do casting them.

The look on my son's face when we went into Bass Pro this weekend and he said "is that an entire wall of bucktail" was pretty awesome.
tiger297 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in