Fishing again, but need some help! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 03-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Fishing again, but need some help!

Hey guys (and gals, if you're out there),

Last year my old man and I started fishing in his 17 footer for the first time in years. He bought the boat last year because he was sick of not going, and due to some circumstances beyond my control, I had a lot of free time to oblige him. So, we did. And we had so much fun that it was ridiculous. We caught specs and spanish like it was our job - but few reds. He landed a great one last year that was in the slot limit, so naturally, we turned it into grill-bait.

Here's my hang up - we never really landed many reds. Out of the 15 or 20 trips we made, we put probably...3 reds in the boat - and they were all his. To this day, I've yet to catch one. I'm hoping to change that around this year, but I need some help.

As a disclaimer - I'm over in Panama City, so I understand that specific recommendations are hard. But, I feel like we are missing some core concept. The wrong bait, time of day, tide conditions, the wrong places, etc. Last year we fished live bait (menhaden), redfish magic spinners, electric chickens - minimal luck. I've read so much stuff in magazines and on "professional sites" about optimal conditions that it gets confusing. But a lot of the waters around Pensacola mirror those in PC (I lived in PCola for 5 years, for college and military, and my in-laws live there), so I figure if y'all are having some success, I may be able to emulate.

I'm fishing for advice, as it were.
Ringo Redux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Sailfish

If you do not already know your redfish fishery is as good if not better than ours here in Pensacola! If you want to catch one go to west bay and fish a gold spoon and you should soon realize your wish of catching a redfish. I say a spoon so that you can cover alot of water to locate them fish the shore lines usually less than 2 feet of water. Look for schools of mullet to increase your chances. You can always resort to a 3" gup shrimp on a jig head either by itself or under a popping cork. Good luck I hope this helps.
Flatspro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Trigger

Flatspro hit it, if I can find Mullet over grass in 2' of water the reds will be there or close by, if I can add a little shade from the sun the chances are even better. For me I like 4 or 5" jerk baits or 4" shad tails soft baits rigged with a swimming type hook, Gulp catch a lot of fish but cats love them also.
PennFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in