Finding Spanish? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default Finding Spanish?

Let me start by saying I dont fish the Pensacola area, so I am just looking for some general info. The area that I fish does not have a bay or pass. And from my experience fish that are caught right off the beach in P'cola are found farther offshore where I fish. Mexico Beach is the area I am talking about.

I given a couple of half hearted attempts at spanish in the past, but have never caught any. Iv'e trolled the gut outside the 2nd bar with #1 and #0 Clark spoons. I also trolled a mackerel tree. No bites. I've also been headed offshore (6+ miles out) and passed bait balls with something busting them. I've trolled around those with he same baits as well as throwing X-raps and mirrolures at them. No bites. I dont know what was busting on the baitballs. May have been spanish, or it may have been blues, or who knows what.

Mexico Beach has a shelf between San Blas and Crooked Island Beach. The water stays 20-35ft deep for about 4-5 miles out. Then at 6 miles, it drops off to 60+ ft. Any tips or advice on where to find the spanish here? I'll be headed down for Memorial Day weekend. With everything offshore closed, I thought we would troll for some mackerel and maybe pound the beaches for pompano.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
White Marlin

in Pensacola the Spanish are found inside the bar. you could be fishing two deep. they run up the first bar or between the two bars. you can see them in 8- 10 feet of water. try closer in
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
in Pensacola the Spanish are found inside the bar. you could be fishing two deep. they run up the first bar or between the two bars. you can see them in 8- 10 feet of water. try closer in
I had thought about that. It is my understanding that you cannot have a boat that close to shore in Mexico Beach. I may try running up towards Crooked Island, no people on the beach there.

I've tried from the beach too. Tossing gotchas, x-raps, spoons, etc. Got nothing but a few Ladyfish and a Blue or two.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Usually starting around this time the bouy line coming out of St Joe bay holds quite a bit of bait and thus predators. I have caught numerous spanish and even kings slow trolling that general area around the farthest few bouys. If that doesnt work and you want to go a little farther offshore a flat line with a cigar minnow over the fire tower always produces kings in that area. It is a public reef and you could easily find the numbers. But in general I would also troll at least one cigar minnow in your spread.
fishdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdoc View Post
Usually starting around this time the bouy line coming out of St Joe bay holds quite a bit of bait and thus predators. I have caught numerous spanish and even kings slow trolling that general area around the farthest few bouys. If that doesnt work and you want to go a little farther offshore a flat line with a cigar minnow over the fire tower always produces kings in that area. It is a public reef and you could easily find the numbers. But in general I would also troll at least one cigar minnow in your spread.
We've been fishing the area for about 15 years now. We catch Kings all the time. Usually over the "Car Bodies" Never caught one on a cig though. We always catch them on frozen Northerns or live Ruby Reds. We limit out on them so fast that I though we would try for Spanish. They taste alot better and you can keep alot more of them. Spanish will also freeze, Kings... Not so much. haha
Old 05-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Sounds like you are very familar with the area then. I completely agree about the taste of spanish and really only enjoy catching the kings for the sport. But that general area of the last few buoys is where I have consitently caught the most spanish out of MB. Have caught the most there on very small cigs or the spoon at the end of the mackeral tree. Later in the summer in the bay they are always with blues busting the bait balls.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdoc View Post
Sounds like you are very familar with the area then. I completely agree about the taste of spanish and really only enjoy catching the kings for the sport. But that general area of the last few buoys is where I have consitently caught the most spanish out of MB. Have caught the most there on very small cigs or the spoon at the end of the mackeral tree. Later in the summer in the bay they are always with blues busting the bait balls.
Yeah, fairly familiar with the area. We've never had any luck on the buoy line. All we have ever caught out there were Ladyfish between the "Line" and the tip of San Blas. We catch our best kings over the CAr Bodies and catch smaller ones (but more of them) trolling on the way back to the MB canal. Usually between 6 and 4 miles out.

You say a spoon on the end of the mackerel tree? Hummm. Never thought of that one. We always just put a torpedo weight. May have been doing it wrong all this time. Like I said, not something we normally mess with. Do you use any weight at all other than the spoon? Also, what size and kind of spoon?
Old 05-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Pretty much any size, usually 2-4" I'd guess, and in gold or silver all just as well. Usually no weight on that if we are slow trolling so its not skipping on the water but just below the surface. But if other rigs are getting hit better that are deeper in the water column I have added the torpedo style trolling weights in front of the tree. This definitely is not my area of expertise by any means but like you when not fishing for something else its fun to do.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
White Marlin

Cool. Thanks for the help.
We've gotta do what we've gotta do now that everything else is closed. I'm not even going to bring my boat down. My buddy will probably bring his though.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Don't blame you one bit. Snapper are more protected than bald eagles now. The grass flats in the actual bay should be holding a ton of trout/reds around that time also which is how I will be spending my time there then. To give you another option at something thats way more edible than kings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in