Finding and catching Flounder - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree2Likes

Old 06-17-2014, 08:43 PM  
Snapper

Default Finding and catching Flounder

Alright, I've been on here a couple months now and have had a great time finding and catching fish using some of tips I've learned here. I've went from a saltwater zero to a saltwater hero...hahaha jk! I have had some great luck though. On the flats, the sound, in the surf, on the pier. From Eglin to Navarre. I've caught dang near all the main fish(and some strange ones) from specks and reds to kings and sharks. All but one have eluded me.....

That's right, the flounder. Where are they and why haven't I ran into any? Do you have to fish for them specifically?
Simonj31 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 09:34 PM  
Trigger

Try fishing with a live bull minnow in 6-10 feet of water around structure of some sort. Once you find them, they're usually stacked up. Sometimes I go several trips in a row without catching one and a few times I've found them and caught my limit in <1 hours. Hope that helps.
c_stowers is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 09:58 PM  
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_stowers View Post
Try fishing with a live bull minnow in 6-10 feet of water around structure of some sort. Once you find them, they're usually stacked up. Sometimes I go several trips in a row without catching one and a few times I've found them and caught my limit in <1 hours. Hope that helps.
We'll I've never heard of using bull minnows for them, so that def helps...thanks! Where can a guy get some bull minnows? I have a cast net that I like to use as much as possible because it's a new thing for me. Or would i be better off buying them somewhere?
Simonj31 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 PM  
Trigger

The bait shops usually have them. If not, you might could find some in the ditches near the bay. I usually buy them so I can't really help much on where to catch them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonj31 View Post
We'll I've never heard of using bull minnows for them, so that def helps...thanks! Where can a guy get some bull minnows? I have a cast net that I like to use as much as possible because it's a new thing for me. Or would i be better off buying them somewhere?
c_stowers is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 09:50 AM  
Sailfish

Flounder are lazy. And yea mostly have to fish directly for them. "Drag the bottom" as most people say. Basically a bull minnow (usually hooked upwards through nose) with a lighter weight...1oz is what I use...and just Carolina rig it. Or an artificial works too. I dont target them often but thats how I do it.

It really helps to be in the right spot as well.

Often flounder are lazy and won't chase food. I've had many times a bite...but no hook up...throw it back in the same spot and their lazy ass is still there
Simonj31 likes this.
holicori is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 10:26 AM  
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

You shouldn't have any problem finding bull minnows. Any grassy shoreline will probably have them. They're the 1-4" light brown minnows you see swimming in inches of water. They've got thin dark vertical stripes on them and funny looking mouths.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Yakavelli is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 AM  
Red Drum Master
Cigar Minnow

Is there any particular places to catch flounder? I just can't seem to find them or hook up on a Flounder, though I can catch Specks and Reds consistently at my spots...Can't wait to catch my first.
BEACH-N-REDS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 10:25 AM  
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACH-N-REDS View Post
Is there any particular places to catch flounder? I just can't seem to find them or hook up on a Flounder, though I can catch Specks and Reds consistently at my spots...Can't wait to catch my first.
Here's a good wiki on catching flounder. At the bases of piers and along areas of drop-offs or where water funnels in through reeds/grassy areas is a good start.
http://www.wikihow.com/Fish-for-Flounder
photofishin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 11:59 AM  
Grouper

Send a message via Yahoo to Magic Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakavelli View Post
You shouldn't have any problem finding bull minnows. Any grassy shoreline will probably have them. They're the 1-4" light brown minnows you see swimming in inches of water. They've got thin dark vertical stripes on them and funny looking mouths.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yup... just look for reeds along the shoreline. Shouldn't take you long to have a dozen or two if you can throw a cast net.
Magic Mike is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 12:03 PM  
Snapper

I do really good on drop offs. Throw to the shallow and work it to the deep. I also do really good at the 1st Navarre Bridge as well along the drop offs at the Gulf Islands National Sea Shore and NAS Pensacola.
acoustifunk is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in