Drifting flats without trolling motor help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By First Cast
  • 1 Post By CurDog
Unread 07-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Drifting flats without trolling motor help

Hello,

I am vacationing in Pensacola soon and I am renting a boat to fish and wanted to go flats fishing. The only issue is that boat does not come with a trolling motor.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for drifting flats without having to turn the motor each time were getting too far from shore and deep or too shallow into shore.

An example would be, a place where the flats are more in the E-W direction, if there are N or S winds how can we drift it so that we are not having to turn on the motor each time we get either too close to shore or too far where its too deep?

Thanks for the help in advance!
ps1135 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
Grouper

Location: Cordova Park Pensacola, and Navarre at William's Creek

Fish the north side of the sound if possible and start your drift upwind of your goal. The wind will typically be out of the southeast or southwest, or sometimes none at all early in the mornings. There's nothing wrong with drifting through the zone, then cranking up and easing back to the start. If you catch fish in a particular spot, nothing wrong with dropping an anchor and still fishing that spot for a while. Good luck, post pictures.
reel jewell and ps1135 like this.
First Cast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

in the case of no wind, how could we drift? im assuming currents from incoming/outcoming tides? sorry still newbie here

Also in Big Lagoon, what side seems to be better this time of the year? north or south?

Last edited by ps1135; 07-01-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Unread 07-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Use a push pole!
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
Use a push pole!
well, we are renting the boat. there would be no point in getting a push pole just for this. i dont own a boat so no need of a push pole myself. unless theres somewhere i could rent/borrow one for the day.
Unread 07-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

I don't think you will need to worry much about it. Use your motor as a rudder when needed, and a brick if needed to slow the drift down a bit. Just go and have fun and enjoy!
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
Grouper

Location: live in Baton Rouge but have a condo in Pensacola Beach

If it is too windy and are drifting too fast, then go get a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot, tie a rope to it and drag it behind the boat to slow you down. Good Luck !
lsucole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

Put the anchor out. Get out of the boat and wade fish. If you're worried about the unknowns in the water (jaws), put the anchor out on a short rope and wade with the boat, so if you feel uncomfortable, you can hop back in the boat.
Other than what's been suggested, maybe you can borrow someone's trolling motor and bring it down with you.
My boat doesn't have a trolling motor either, but I drift with the current/winds, and hop-a-long using the anchor on a short rope. Pick-up and drop, pick-up and drop. Easy Peasy.
60hertz likes this.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #9
Snapper

Rent fishing kayaks instead...just an idea. You have less range but it's fun and solves your drift problem
Shark Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 10:05 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Agree get out and wade a ways. Use light line to make longer cast and cover more ground that you would be able to cover with a tm. 8-10 lb test mono. Take your time don't get in a hurry trying to cover ground. You would be surprised the amount of bigger trout in super shallow water. Especially around a full moon. Focus on the ambush points.
Capt. Matt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
advice, drifting, help a newb, no trolling motor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in