DIY Louisiana Redfishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 07-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Grouper

Default DIY Louisiana Redfishing

My friend an I have been tossing around the idea of towing the boat down to LA for some redfishing. We have never been and don't know the area very well. All we know is that it's supposed to be a redfish mecca. So I'm looking for advice, suggestions, etc. Obviously I'm sure it would shorten the learning curve to hire a guide but wonder if it's worth the money or if we should save the money and just try it ourselves. I'd love to say that I'm not asking for honey holes but if you got some I'm listening

In all seriousness, thanks for any help you can provide two young guys full of "want to" and short on "know how"
johnboatjosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
White Marlin

Default Shell Beach

You may get a hundred suggestions on this one, but I recommend Shell Beach area. See http://www.rodnreel.com/campos/index...ishing_reports This is just one website for the area. It's easy go get to, not far from New Orleans if you are so inclined, and the fishing is top notch. There are places to stay in the area. Google Earth to Shell Bech, La. and take a look at the area. Good maps are available also.

The area was totally wiped out by Hurricane Katrina, but has made a tremendous comeback.

Last edited by fishwalton; 07-11-2012 at 11:17 PM.
fishwalton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Snapper

Get a Top Spot map for the area.
Prince Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
White Marlin

Default map

Yep, a Top Spot map would be excellent for that area, or you can design one at www.mytopo.com but it won't have all the data a Top Spot will have.

Here is a story about Campo's Marina that I always fished out of .http://www.rodnreel.com/campos/

What I like about the area is all the protected areas where you can fish with a small boat. The ship channel can be excellent but you have to have a 'heads up' if a sea going vessel comes buy. The guys at the Marina can give you a 1 minute short course on how to handle your boat should a monster come sailing down the creek. It doesn't happen often though.

Here is another commercial for the area: http://www.fishwiththeking.com/index...ishing_reports

Last edited by fishwalton; 07-11-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

I would suggest down HW23 from Myrtle Grove south all the way to Venice or HW1 from Cut Off south to Grand Isle.

Launching out of Shell Beach may do you good but you will have to head out to the marsh to find the reds, most of which are going to be hanging out around the shallower ponds eating bait.

I have also heard that Pointe Aux Chenes (PAX) has been doing really good right now.
elementfiftyfour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
White Marlin

Default Happy Jack

Myrtle Grove, Venice, and Grand Isle........all top notch. Not many places in south Louisiana that aren't. Just depends on how far you want to drive.

When I moved from Chalmette to Belle Chasse I switched to Happy Jack and Myrtle Grove, mostly Happy Jack. All I had was a 14 ft Jon and 20 hp kicker. That's all I needed for the canals and marsh. Even fished some of the oyster shell reefs/islands in bigger open water when the wind was right.

Loved to take my little Jon and jump the canal weir dams on hi-tide and get back in the marsh. Man 0 Man....such red and flounder fishing. There's no place along the gulf coast I know of that will come close to south Louisiana fishing and the limits are far superior to Florida .

Last edited by fishwalton; 07-12-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Grouper

I'll be keeping an eye out on this thread too, I've been looking for a place to go over there to use a kayak.

Grady-White 257 / Twin F150's
PCfisher66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Mingo

Default Happy Jack

X2 on Happy Jack, Theres a couple houses on the canal on the east side of road that rent out, I think its Martin Lane
bertram31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Trigger

This is where I go. 150 for a cabin and 10 for launch. Have never been unhappy. http://www.thedeltamarina.com/. Make sure you take skin so soft. Off cutter or thermacell just don't work there. Don't know why but the no seeums will tear you up without SSS.

eodusmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Trigger

I went to Grand Isle a couple weeks ago. It looked like the first picture for the last 40 miles of LA 1. You could put a kayak or maybe a small boat in anywhere. We had motor problems the first two days. The flounder were caught off land the first morning. Finally got the boat running and fished from it the last morning. Caught quite a few trout mostly small. Your biggest problem will be trying to decide where to fish. Every place looks better than the last.
DIY Louisiana Redfishing-dscf2731-jpg
DIY Louisiana Redfishing-dscf2742-jpg
DIY Louisiana Redfishing-dscf2764-jpg

Last edited by FLfishR; 07-12-2012 at 03:02 PM.
FLfishR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in