Costas/ Can of Worms - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 03-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Costas/ Can of Worms

I know I'm opening a can of worms here but are Costas really that much better than say the calcutta or a cheaper pair? I bought a pair at the outcast sale and sold them to my brother for what I got them for. With that aside, I'm just trying to justify getting another pair and where to get them if I do.

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

Last edited by wetley49; 03-22-2011 at 05:16 PM.
wetley49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Use to be...Yes. Now...No. Their customer service is horrible since they got bought out. It almost doesnt exist, I have a hard time buying anything that cost that much if the company doesnt stand behind their product.

Guidelines are just as good if not better and if they brake you take them back to where you bought them and they give you a new pair on the spot. Plus they are around $75-$100 cheaper than 580's.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
White Marlin

I still prefer Costas over all others. I have also never had any problems with customer service!! From what I hear Guidelines area good second!
www.southagain.com
www.pensacolafishcharters.com
[email protected]
Inshore/Nearshore Charters
Brad King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Grouper

I too have never had an issue with Costa's customer service. I have had quite a bit of experience with them. I have worn Costa's since 1985. I believe that they are a quality product. I have owned 12 different styles through the years. I for one will stand up for them.
WAHOOU39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Trigger

I figured it would turn in to an argument about glasses and not customer service. Told ya it'd be a can of worms. I liked the costas but was wondering if I'd be sacrificing anything by going with another brand.

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
wetley49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Sailfish

Haven't had to deal with their customer service yet. I bought a pair off a forum member for $40.00 but don't think i will spend alot on a pair for myself anymore. First pair I stepped on by accident. That hurt. If I loose or damage this pair I am only out of 40.00. Otherwise a cheap brand will do but the 580 lenses are awesome gotta say. Bought my son a pair at the outcast sale. I know he will take care of them.

Accutech Carpet And Tile Cleaning

850-529-1335
kelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Grouper

I followed one of these discussions on the forum about a year ago when I wanted to buy a pair. Several people complained about customer service and several said it was good. I decided to buy a pair.

I paid 240 dollars for them and tried to take care of them. I can't imagine how I scratched them, but I did in the first few days. I sent them in to see if I could get them fixed and they wanted 120 dollars to replace the lenses. I realize that it's my fault for scratching them, however I did it, but wouldn't expect them to charge that much for the repair.

I love the glasses but won't buy another pair. It's your decision to get them or not, and they are great glasses. I hear great things about Maui Jims, both the glasses and the customer service. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd go that route. I also hear Kaenon glasses are great for fishing. My wife has a pair and loves them. They just don't have many options for different color lenses.
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

If spending that kind of $, get Maui Jims. A far superior product.

The Kaenon lens is just sick but, the frames leave a lot to be desired.
Reelfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

I need the bifocals in order to read my cell and GPS. Maui's have the bifocal option, but you have to purchase the lenses separately from the frames and my insurance company doesn't like that... so much that they won't pay for them and they will for most of the Costa's. I love my Costa's!

2008 NauticStar 1900 Offshore, Yamaha F150
GEWarEagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
Grouper

Yes, go with Costa's. I was never a nice sunglass guy until I bought my first pair 5 or so years ago, and I have only broke one pair since and have loved both pairs of Costa's I have had. The spring hinge and 400 or 580 glass are as good as they get.

Costa customer service used to be amazing, and too good. My friend had a pair given to him as a tip, and over a 3 year period sent them to Costa after he admittedly broke them 3 different times and they sent him brand new glasses for essentially the cost of shipping, it all came to under 50 bucks for 3 new pair. Yes that is amazing customer service, but a business can't make a quality product and replace them for people for free and stay in business.

Costa still repairs their plastic framed lenses for cheap. If you scratch the glass which is what you pay for, people want them to replace it for dirt cheap like they did before. Well the glass is what you pay for, they're still making a killing off it, but I can't blame them. Costa glass is extremely hard to scratch in the first place. If you buy any glasses under 100 dollars they are essentially plastic eye pieces and not glass. Plastic is miserable and frustrating after a little use and especially a long day on the water, get glass and you'll be happy you did. I don't know enough about Maui jim or any of the others, but Maui Jim's and most the competitors in glass are more money I know that.
baldona523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in