Considering a 16ft shrimp net to pull. When?How? ?worthi it for some fun n food? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree6Likes

Old 05-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Considering a 16ft shrimp net to pull. When?How? ?worthi it for some fun n food?

Looking for opinions /advice on buying a 16ft shrimp net to pull with the boys.
We have a 19 ft. Grady w a/140 and would use it in mobile/weeks
Bay and nearshore. Never done it, Is it worthwhile? Fun for the kids?
Is there a better time of year than another?

Thanks
Gulflady likes this.
camuchi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
White Marlin

1. yes you can do it with your boat 2. there is a season or seasons I should say. 3. it would be fun. 4. it's work BTW. 5. you may need a license not sure but they are normally based on net size. 6. be careful you can easily hang up on something and capsize if you don't know much about where you are shrimping. 7. You will need to trawl about 30 minutes on your first drop reason is if you are catching a lot of by product, which you will, you need to be sure you can pull the weight of the net in. After a few pulls you can either go longer or shorter depending on the weight of the by product.
Gulflady likes this.
2RC's II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
eating tasty
White Marlin

Default Considering a 16ft shrimp net to pull. When?How? ?worthi it for some fun n food?

It's tons of fun! Good advice above, you will pull in 100 lbs of stingrays pinfish and jellies in an hour long summer pull. Some shrimp, too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gulflady likes this.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Grouper

Awesome, I know going through the bycatch will be a big deal
for the kids. I wonder if there is a way to tie the lines so they
Would pull free if I snag something ?
Old 05-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
White Marlin

Answer to that is no just stop gotta be diligent and watch at all times. Also I forgot another very important thing. Your ropes should have a colored twine sewn in at 3 or 6 foot intervals. That way you can count them off as you let the boards, net and ropes out to be sure you have the exact amount of both ropes out. Long story long if one rope is further out than the other the net will not be fully open and you will be wasting your time. Have someone who knows what they are doing make your gear it will be worth the extra bucks. RTR
Old 05-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
White Marlin

One more thing about speed. Drop a small piece of paper overboard. If you are going the correct speed you should be able to walk along at a normal pace front to back of your boat with the paper as it floats by. Troll at walking speed. Bring plenty of beer it's rather boring but after your first catch you will be sorting your catch while trawling for your next catch. Not sure about Florida but you may need a crab license also if you plan on keeping crabs. Been about 30 years since I last shrimped. Like I said it's fun but work for the person putting out and pulling in the boards and net. If you have an outboard engine start out in a semi wide circle let the boards and net out on the inside of the circle once the boards and net are out start to straighten out will holdinding the ropes up over the engine. Once you are on a straight path then feed out the appropriate amount of rope ( same amount on each rope) tie them off get a beer and trawl for about 30 minutes.
Gulflady likes this.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
Seafox 237 twin outboards
Blue Marlin

You might want to get some scuba gear for when it hangs on the bottom.
You need to cut some carpet to form the back of your boat or your net will eventually destroy the back of your boat pulling your net in.
Are you gonna hand pull or use some sort of a winch.
I've gained a little info on this by having the same idea. But never took that next step.
Research trawling nets.
Mini trawling net is more so what your looking for. Your gonna have to have the boards that drag the bottom and keep the net open.
That's a few thing to think about, coming from a guy who had the idea but never spent the dollar to make it happen.
Good luck, and if you set out on the venture, you better take pics. Some of us on here might be interested how your day went.
Good luck
Gulflady likes this.
Chapman5011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
Grouper

Default 16' nets

Pulled one for many years. some good some not so. If it's just extra $ and a hobby you will have fun. the trash in the water is a problem. Be careful where you pull.
FLWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Trigger

Default Great fun, recommend it.

You need a license 75-100, don't remember exact amount. Usually starts in June runs thru summer. Boat is licensed not you so can't shrimp behind another boat.

Never snagged anything that the boat couldn't handle, occasional lg tree limb about it.

You always catch something. Bycatch is the only serious hazard. Never damaged my boat, but you will get it dirty.

Expect up close visits from dolphin, very cool.
onoahi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 12:08 AM   #10
Grouper

Thanks for all the good advice. I will def report back if I take
The bait and get a net. Figure if I work the lower part of mobile bay
Where I have seen the big boats shrimping I should a kid alot of
The bigger bottom junk and out towards the kiddie bay lighthouse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in