Choctaw Bay Anyone?? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 07-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Choctaw Bay Anyone??

Anyone fished Choctaw lately with success? The last few times I've been out its been pretty bad 3 undersized specks and 1 keeper flounder last trip and today's trip resulted in just a bunch of lady fish. I typically launch in Niceville and fish the grass flats Bucaroo Point over to Rocky Bayou grass flats all the way down to the North end of the Mid Bay Bridge then jump to the south end of the bridge and fish the flats there. I don't know what's up I usually land at least a couple redfish per trip in the past couple years with keeper specks. I just thought id throw it out there and see how others are doing. Thanks, Jason
GatorBait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Grouper

Fished today, fished the flat right out of boggy bayou, tons of mullet, caught one rat red. Came back into the bayou, managed to catch four sailcat. Had one bluefish to the boat before he got off. Not what I was looking for, but did make for dinner.
Rjw615 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
White Marlin

Default Choctaw Delta

Fished the choctaw river delta area on Friday morning. Lady fish and sail cat using popping cork with white fluke and mirror lure. Started off first at a mullet hole but caught zilch while others were pulling them in. First time with a buddy.... the blind leading the blind on mullet fishing, but we got some good info and pointers from anglers who were doing well. Anxious to get back to the hole with a proper rig setup and start figuring it out.
We did get a report that a guy in Mitchell down my bird island was catching specks and releasing. We tried that area but did nothing. Birding were working a large area in Jolly Bay so motored over there. Porpoise and lady fish were having a ball on baitc shool.
fishwalton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Mingo

Saw a few folks out on the dock fishing at florida park in valp on the bayou. never see anyone there with a pole, only nets for mullet. Occasionally, reds roll through there but mostly sheeps head.
ManSnorkle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Trigger

Two weekends ago I got two trout that were 18 and 23 along with three flouder 13,16, and 18". Trout on a popper with a red/goldflake doa and the flounder were on a 1/4 oz jig with a "fishbite" newpenny shrimp. All were caught off the Eglin area flats. On the water at 6:30 and bite was over by 9:30 am. Did get some small trout also.
Powerstroke 7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Trigger

Fished the Eglin flats a few days last week nothing great but everyday produced a 20"+ trout along with 6-8 shorts same with the reds. All on Mirrowdines or Bass Assasin shad tails rig as swimmers no jig head. Look for the Mullet.
PennFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Grouper

Pennfish were you wading, yak, in a boat??

Grady-White 257 / Twin F150's
PCfisher66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Trigger

PC sold the yak a couple of weeks ago, wasn't able to use it this year. Now I fish out of my boat a 196 B&R Key West.
PennFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Me and some buddies have been wading the Eglin Flats during sunrise off and on lately and we've been catching a lot of smalls reds with the occasional keeper and no trout. I havent caught a trout wading in almost a month....
colescoconutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

the sound is full of juvinille reds, that's were the populations nursery is. The best fishing in Choctawhatchee bay generally is going to be in areas that are hard to get to. To far to paddle, wadefish, ect. Also your going to want to fish either before 8 or after 7 if you can, it's too hot for the fish to stay on the flats during the day. If you're catching trash fish and using gulps or shrimp get bigger baits, if you want quality fish catch yourself some big pinfish. Just remember big baits and small hooks...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in