catching live bait... WHAT A MESS! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default catching live bait... WHAT A MESS!

Well I don't exactly know what im doing wrong.. Hell I went out to the pass the the bait fish looked so thick like you could walk on them...

Im throwing an 8foot net, I dont know how much weight/foot it is, but it dosent feel very heavy...

I would throw the net over the top of a school and they would scramble and leave me coming up empty..

the mullet are so boat shy we coulden't get close to them in the boat and they are staying just far enough off the beach to where I can't net them wading..

my pinfish trap produced zero results in the grass beds and then it was stolen so who knows, maybe it did produce..

I find im wasting entirly to much time searching for live bait the morning of a trip, if anyone can give me suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.:banghead:banghead:banghead
Immyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: catching live bait... WHAT A MESS!

We have a salt water tank in the garage that I keep bait in for trips. Helps plan a head. You still have to catch the bait in the morning, but it only out of the tank.
Heller High Water is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
White Marlin

To catch those baits around the pass, you are going to need to use a sabiki rig. It's too deep for a cast net there. As for the mullet, well, you just have to be patient and really stealthy.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Grand Slam

bait boat, much faster and you usually end up with better baits. i like to spend my time fishin rather than wasting time (trying) catching bait. IMO
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

So thoes fish I see in the giant school near the waters surface will eat a sabiki??? And what are thoes exactly hardtails?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Realtor (6/23/2008)bait boat, much faster and you usually end up with better baits. i like to spend my time fishin rather than wasting time (trying) catching bait. IMO
Yea we passed a blueish/green boat that said "LIVE BAIT" on the side, we pulled up next to him and he said he had no bait haha ;<
Old 06-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
Grand Slam

we spent about 45 minutes getting some yesterday, small hardtails, threadfin and I think the others were leather jackets. Only the hardtails are alive once put on a hook. from what I have seen.
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
Immyz (6/23/2008)So thoes fish I see in the giant school near the waters surface will eat a sabiki??? And what are thoes exactly hardtails?

The ones inside the pass are usually threadfins and crazy fish with hardtails mixed in. Yes, they will all eat the sabiki. The threadfins are hard to keep alive, the crazy fish are no good as bait. The hardtails are good. Outside the pass is usually where you will find the cigar minnows and more hardtails.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

It sounds like im going to have to dedicate a single day to learning where to catch bait =)
Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
Grouper

NO, take a light tackle spinning combo, use the smaller size sabikis. Go out side the pass and to the bouy by the mass. Cut really small pieces of squid and attach to each hook. Put a 2oz weight on the bottom and toss over schools of bait. They will hit it while reeling but let it fall kind of like an easy jigging motion. Once you feel one on start reeling SLOW so that the others in the group will get excited and bite. That will make sure you have at least 4 on. Repeat until full. It usually takes us 20-30 mins if we catch bait. I prefer the bait boat!
Heller High Water is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in