Cape San Blas ?'s - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 05-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Cape San Blas ?'s

I have a vacation planned in the first week of June in Cape San Blas And was wondering if anyone has any advice on where and what to fish for. I am dragging my 14 foot skiff with a 15hp tiller motor with trolling motor. I am an avid fisherman I am just in new territory. any advice will help thank you.
outdoorkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Too bad that you are not going July 1st at the open of scallop season. You can catch most fish that you catch in this area. I haven't fished in a while there but I do go in the area Port St Joe and over to Alligator Pt. to scallop. I remember catching some specs when I camped one year. I really like the area. Have fun.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
Snapper

I've fished a little there in the summer when scalloping with my scout troop. One problem is LOTS of floating grass. We were land locked - no boat. The wind always seemed to be blowing in the direction of our campsite - pushing the grass our way. The surface was covered with endless bands of floating grass. Trying to work a topwater or subsurface hard bait (Rapala, Mirrolure, etc.) was pretty difficult because you would work it 5 feet and it would be covered with grass. Next year I am going to try the DOA deadly combo, Johnson Spoon, soft jerk baits, etc. The other option is go to the side of the bay the wind is coming from and there will not be as much grass from what the locals told me.

If you have luck let me know how what was succesful please. I'll be back there in August with the scouts.
- Fisherdad1
Fisherdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Trigger

I will give a report as soon as I get back. Thanks for the info.
outdoorkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Find presnells fish camp and fish the flats in front of there. Plenty of grass and pockets. We have always done well there.
Good Luck!
finfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Drift the flats in the bay out behind the state park. Lot's of grass with sand pockets in 4-6 ft of water. We would fish pinfish under popping corks for big trout. I got a 7 pounder that way a few years back.
Tennessee Trey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Just as Tennessee Trey said find grass flats and look for sandy spots within the grass. Jig head with a gulp shrimp is one of the best go to lures on the flats. one good place to look is around Black's Island. Hope this helps.
Bonehead-GA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
Grand Slam

Just curious, why the sand flats by the grass? Are the fish in the sand, grass, or on the edge?
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

The fish use the edges of the grass and the pot holes for ambushing prey.
Bonehead-GA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Scattered sand holes in the grass is a good sign. If it's solid grass I would drift on until you are seeing some. I have not had nearly as much luck in solid grass covered flats. The trout will lay right in even the smallest sand hole waiting for prey. Some of my best days were with very clear water and a pair of good polarized sun glasses. You can actually see the fish sitting in the hole and target them.
Tennessee Trey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in