C-Bay Shore fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree4Likes

Old 06-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default C-Bay Shore fishing

I'm an arkie that is being drug to the beach for vacation by the family. My only prerequisite was that we rented a place on the bay so that I could fish from the bank (shore, bank - I'm from Arkansas, so forgive the terminology). So - I'll be bringing my bass gear and stopping at a bass pro along the way. I have two young'uns that would love to set a hook into something. We are staying in a condo and the Choctawhatchee bay is at my back doorstep. It looks grassy there from the photos.

What baits or set up do I need to buy for me and my boys? There is a walkway bridge near there and a place to buy bait from what I understand. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vetrock; 06-10-2014 at 05:26 PM.
vetrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

If you can figure out how to post a Google Earth map of where are staying, I'll bet we can help you.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Google earth link huh? You forgot I'm from Arkansas didn't you? It's in the Sandestin Bay resort on Northshore Dr. Our condo is just east of Poppy's Seafood Factory and and to my east and is Horseshoe Bayou.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Constitution Conservative
Sailfish

Here is the Razorback's roosting spot.
Attached Thumbnails
C-Bay Shore fishing-razorback-roost-jpg  
ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Atta boy! Just west of there in that row of condos to be exact.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #6
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

Looks like you will have some nice shoreline access unless the golfers run you off.

That bayou is a fishy place, little deeper than the shoreline in front of where you're staying but big trout have been known to be in the shallows very, very early in the morning.

I'd get jigheads 1/4-3/8 oz an assortment of paddle and curly tail soft plastics. Rig em weedless if possible. A set up like this http://www.doalures.com/category-s/1885.htm for staying out of the grass will be perfect for the kids, stay away from the light float, you want the weight to blast the combo out there.

Even if you're from Arkansas, I'm assuming you are going to stop by our local Bass Pro for the stuff and more info,right?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Thank you. The local bass pro or even a local bait shop would be great. Being a small business owner I like to support the little man. Is there one in this area?
Magic Mike likes this.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
Snapper

If you want to shop local go to Half Hitch Tackle in Destin, chat them up and they will help. Since you will have the kids and want to get them into a fish quickly and easily, I recommend using shrimp under a popping cork. Live shrimp work best, but berkley Gulp shrimp are great too. Get a 1/4 oz, short hook shank jig head and put on the shorter Gulp shrimp (or live) in new penny color. Put a popping cork 18 inches above it. Youtube can show you how to work the cork. The sound of the cork will attract trout to the area, fan cast to cover water looking for trout. When you get a hit, work that area. Many of your bass baits will work well too. Use light colors if its clear and light out, darker colors if the water is stained or its cloudy. The trout bite is usually very early, its done by 9:30AM most of the time, but can vary with tides too. Evening is good also. Topwaters early early early in the morning are super fun.
That shoreline has massive flats all the way west to the midbay bridge. Dont be afraid to wade out onto them, its a great way to fish. The trout will move onto the flats to feed, but I have my best luck where the flats start to drop off to the channels exiting the bayous. If you dont find the fish on the flats, find this drop off and cast all along it.
vetrock and ChileRelleno like this.
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Lines View Post
If you want to shop local go to Half Hitch Tackle in Destin, chat them up and they will help. Since you will have the kids and want to get them into a fish quickly and easily, I recommend using shrimp under a popping cork. Live shrimp work best, but berkley Gulp shrimp are great too. Get a 1/4 oz, short hook shank jig head and put on the shorter Gulp shrimp (or live) in new penny color. Put a popping cork 18 inches above it. Youtube can show you how to work the cork. The sound of the cork will attract trout to the area, fan cast to cover water looking for trout. When you get a hit, work that area. Many of your bass baits will work well too. Use light colors if its clear and light out, darker colors if the water is stained or its cloudy. The trout bite is usually very early, its done by 9:30AM most of the time, but can vary with tides too. Evening is good also. Topwaters early early early in the morning are super fun.
That shoreline has massive flats all the way west to the midbay bridge. Dont be afraid to wade out onto them, its a great way to fish. The trout will move onto the flats to feed, but I have my best luck where the flats start to drop off to the channels exiting the bayous. If you dont find the fish on the flats, find this drop off and cast all along it.
Excellent advice!!
TeaSea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Thank you. That is great info. Very helpful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in