Building Memories - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 07-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Building Memories

My family has always been a fishing family...freshwater fishing that is. We've also always been a 'beach' loving family. Two years ago (7/2/06), I lost my middle son, age 19 1/2, in an accident in Panama City while we were on vacation. I have two other sons, 25 and 17, and my wife of 28 years. Times have been tough, but we are a very close family. With the help of family, friends, and the Lord, we are able to move on. Just this year, we have begun to vacation again, And, of course, we gravitated back to the beach. We favor the Orange Beach and Gulf Shores areas, it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive for us (Mississippi). Problem was that the boys don't seem to enjoy just going to the beach as much as they used to. My wife can sit there all day...every day. We don't play golf (much), so I got to thinking: what can I do that will cause us to wantto go more, spend more time together, build memories. It hit me...fish!!! We love fish, love to catch them, and love to eat them. I got to looking and guess what I did? Yup! I bought a boat...a 23' Cobia w/ a 200hp Yamaha. And it's ready to fish. Herein lies a problem for me...I don't know diddly squat about saltwater fishing. Aside from going out on charter boats, I have zero experience at Inshore or Offshore fishing. I need some help with lure selection, what types of lures work well for Inshore fishing, what size line, and what methods (trolling, bottom-fishing, under a float) also. We will be going down for a week and staying in Terry Cove. We plan to do some Inshore fishing first before we venture out in the Gulf. I'm not asking for your spots...as a (freshwater) fisherman, I know that's taboo. Just some tips on lure types, artificial and/or live bait, and some proven methods for the Inshore areas. Also, is there anywhere to buy live bait around the Perdido Pass area? Anything you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Misn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: Building Memories

Hey Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your hard times, that is definately a horrible tragedy. As far as fishing spots goI can't help you much with Orange Beach, since I fish mainly in the Pensacola to Destin Area. However, I can tell what bait is working for us. In the deepwater 15ft and up (mainly Escambia Bay) Gulp has been the magic bait for white trout, skipjack, and the occasional red fish. In the bayous (I haven't made it to the sound or the pass in a while) live shrimp is the ticket, and we have been catching specks, reds, and various trash fish. Gulp jerkshad (5 inch new penny or sapphire blue) and swimming mullet (smoke or rootbeer) also produce fish, but you have to work for 'em. Hope this helps, and again sorry to hear about your loss.
Glastronix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
Snapper

Glad you made it back. I can't imagine the hurt..

My advice is to go by Mo Fishing on Canal Road for inshore advice. He is a local guy and will be glad to offer advice. He also sells live shrimp. A good guy. Check out his website http://www.mofishin.biz/

You can also go by J & M on Canal rd.

Don't really do much inshore fishing but if you are down and need some advice on nearshore or offshore send me a pm. I'm down there almost every weekend.

Good Luck!

ps; One of my daughters asked me to take her fishing a couple of weeks ago. She didn't have to ask twice. It was great fun & a great memory I will have for a long time.
Instant Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Trigger

glad to hear your on the up and up with a new boat :angel heres my .02

Offer someone a ride, im good....but iv only lived here 4 years. There are natives here on the forum that have alot of experience to offer and most of em will fish at the drop of a hat. Hey, i met a lot of good people and learned a lot about this little spot of water just by fishing with people, watching, and doing as they do. wanna learn? find a teacher, and probly a buddy too.
tom1s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in