Bottom fishing the bay - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree4Likes

Old 08-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Bottom fishing the bay

So all of my experience pretty much revolves around fishing the flats in the sound. Never really done much else. Next week I'm coming in town to try some bottom fishing on the wrecks, rock piles, etc in the bay. Any one have tips for me on bait to use? I fish live bait alot on the flats too, so I assume I could target the same bait? Any tips would be great.
THONAS J. RYAN likes this.
DarthWader50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
Grouper

Drop a subiki rig with a little piece of shrimp as a tease. When you get where your going.
What ever you reel up send back down.
Good luck
THONAS J. RYAN likes this.
Jet fishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

That's a good idea, thanks. Any tips on when to fish? Best tides or time of day?

Old 08-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
Grouper

Didn't say what you want to fish for, but I'll share my current strategy for specs in Mobile Bay. Best time to fish here is when high tide is early AM.

Before daybreak I drag a 12' trawl to catch 4-5" croakers, as they've pretty well stopped hitting shrimp this late in the summer.

I try to get to the rigs on the south side of the bay before the sun starts coming up. I anchor up in 15-18' of water over the reef material that's been laid around the rigs and where I can cast up against the large legs and piles.

I start out throwing topwater. If smooth, I'll throw a 4"-ish plug like a She-Dog, Catch 2000 or Super Spook. If rough, I throw the biggest and noisiest thing I have, like a He Dog, big chugger, etc.

As the fish stop hitting topwater, I throw croakers on a popping cork to get down 3-5 feet.

As the fish move deeper with the warmer water, I'll free-line a croaker and maybe add a little weight.

As they go even deeper, I'll mark the fish depth, usually 10-12 feet in 15-18 feet of water, then rig up a slip cork. I use the balsa ones, a bobber stop, a 3/4 oz trolling weight, a 24-30" 20 lb leader, and a #2 kahle hook. I'll throw and drift this up near the piles on the outgoing current. This helps to prevent catching trash fish (catfish, etc). We will hit the occasional spanish mack and jack crevelles, but mostly trout.

We've pulled a lot of big trout out with this strategy.

Rots O Ruck!
submariner likes this.
2012 Sea Fox 220XT

Last edited by markbxr400; 08-20-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: I hate auto spell corrector!
markbxr400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
Grouper

PS - while returning home late morning/early afternoon - look for anything floating - board, beer can, dead fish, tree trunk, floating buoys, etc. Approach and look for a tripletail floating just underneath. You may or may not see one. In any case, either freeline a live shrimp or croaker right up to it (or use a popping cork with bait about 18" below it). Feel for a small twitch, or if using a popping cork look for a small hit. Set the hook and pull it away from whatever you were fishing against. You may want to use 20-25 lb leader on this rig as you will have to horse it away and will likely rub something underwater while doing so.
2012 Sea Fox 220XT
Old 08-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Wow, thanks for the good info! We're going on Friday so I'll have to post a report on how it went. Croakers are what we like to use on the flats, I just hope we can find bigger ones than usual. Don't have anything to drag the bottom with, so we'll see about that one. On the tripletail - the last year or so anytime we see something floating in the water we stop and throw at it. Hasn't panned out yet, but I know one of these times it will be holding a tripletail. Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Grouper

This is probably well known on this forum, but thought I would share for others that are newer to catching specs:

You'll catch trout with any size croakers, but what I find is that if I throw bigger croakers, it weeds out smaller trout that can't eat that size croaker.

Also, wait on the trout and don't try to set the hook on the first bump. I was losing a lot of them this way. What a guide told me was that the trout attack the croaker to yield it defenseless. They'll do this typical from the rear or side in order to blindside the bait. But then they will spin the bait around and eat it head first. Wait until the trout starts to run and then sharply set the hook. I've lost fewer trout this way.

On smaller trout you do have to be careful not to rip the hook out of their soft mouth. Larger ones can take a firmer hook set. Keep them under tension when reeling them in and for bigger trout don't lose them by trying to lift them over the side of the boat. Get someone to assist with a net.
2012 Sea Fox 220XT
Old 08-22-2015, 07:53 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Well we were on the water yesterday from about 7-2. Saw all kinds of stuff in the bay, but nothing in the cooler. We saw bull reds, chased schools of spanish, tried some deep spots towards the pass and kept getting broken off. Then moved to the pass and fought sharks for about an hour. A buddy on the boat with me lost what looked like his personal best speck right at the boat. All in all a fun day...
Old 08-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
Grouper

Keep at it. Good news you were getting hits. Now just to get them into the boat . . .
2012 Sea Fox 220XT
Old 08-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
Snapper

[QUOTE=markbxr400;4981017]

You'll catch trout with any size croakers, but what I find is that if I throw bigger croakers, it weeds out smaller trout that can't eat that size croaker.

Good tips and info. What is your 'ideal' size croaker?
BlueWaterWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in