Boat ramp review and a question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree7Likes

Old 07-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Boat ramp review and a question

Took my wife out fishing yesterday. I usually fish the sound or Choctawhatchee bay. However, since I just got a boat Im trying to fish new waters. In this case, I wanted to go to the Garcon bridge.

First stop was the Bal Alex ramp in GB. A real nice looking place and a great dock to fish off of. So awesome right? Ya, not if you're trying to put a boat in. There was 3 other truck/trailers there and there was no place left to park. Not exaggerating, literally 3. How the hell are you suppose to get in?

So then we tried the Dickerson City Boat Ramp north of the bridge. Again, worthless. I back in until the water was nearing the top of my rear tires and the back of my boat was still 6" out of the water. And I have skiff!!

So, we ended up in the sound. Caught some trout and it was fun...oh well. Now, what is the best ramp to use to get to the Garcon bridge? 17th? Bayou Texar? Also, does anyone know about how deep it gets on that bridge?
Simonj31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
Grand Slam

I was shooting a TV show a while back, and I put my boat in at the East River Boat ramp once. I have a 25 foot CC, so you could get your skiff into here with no problem. Good amount of parking too. Its a run to the Garcon Point bridge, but I'm sure there a lot of fishing between that ramp and the bridge.... (if I remember right, the east river was FULL of menhaden or shad at the time.... It was in the Fall of the year...) don't know where you're coming from, if your fishing the Destin area, but its a suggestion.
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
I was shooting a TV show a while back, and I put my boat in at the East River Boat ramp once. I have a 25 foot CC, so you could get your skiff into here with no problem. Good amount of parking too. Its a run to the Garcon Point bridge, but I'm sure there a lot of fishing between that ramp and the bridge.... (if I remember right, the east river was FULL of menhaden or shad at the time.... It was in the Fall of the year...) don't know where you're coming from, if your fishing the Destin area, but its a suggestion.
You know, we live probably 3/4 mile from that ramp in Navarre. Its such a haul to the bridge that we didn't even consider it. Im definitely going there soon to fish some docks, just really wanted to try that bridge. Been driving over it for years and I just have an itch to fish it.
Realtor likes this.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
Mingo

Quote:
So then we tried the Dickerson City Boat Ramp north of the bridge. Again, worthless. I back in until the water was nearing the top of my rear tires and the back of my boat was still 6" out of the water. And I have skiff!!
Sure hope you rinsed the rear end of your truck. Your lucky the Saliently is real low because of all the rain.............
Big E Nuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Blue Marlin

Go to Archie Glover boat ramp

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Murphy's Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
Snapper

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E Nuff View Post
Sure hope you rinsed the rear end of your truck. Your lucky the Saliently is real low because of all the rain.............
Im going off of what my wife said. It dint look that high from my mirror. I think she had one too many.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy's Law View Post
Go to Archie Glover boat ramp

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Watch the ramp on the west side of the dock at Archie Glover ... there's a hole your starboard tire will go in tilting your trailer at an angle. You can use that side .. just be aware it's there. I've started using the one on the east side of the dock. (That'd be port when you're backing in) After you leave Mulat Bayou stay within the channel markers till you get to the I-10 bridge ... gets pretty shallow at low tide.

In Pensacola I like Bayou Texar if I'm going to 3 mile bridge and Mahogany Mill if I'm headed to the pass. Both are pretty nice IMO.
Simonj31 likes this.

If you need music on the beach, you're missing the point.

Last edited by AndyS; 07-16-2017 at 02:03 PM.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

There is a boat ramp right at Garcon point bridge. if you are south on Avalon, the last road on the right take it to the stop sign and turn left. You will run straight into the ramp. Good ramp and will hold up to a 19 cc with ease... Other then that Archie Glover is good too!
60hertz, AscendAngler and Pcola4jr like this.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #9
Snapper

Interesting, thanks for the tip!
Old 07-17-2017, 02:12 AM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
There is a boat ramp right at Garcon point bridge. if you are south on Avalon, the last road on the right take it to the stop sign and turn left. You will run straight into the ramp. Good ramp and will hold up to a 19 cc with ease... Other then that Archie Glover is good too!

Be aware, parking can be limited at Garcon Point ramp and if there is a south wind or a moving tide be prepared to recover with some current and not a lot of room to maneuver.

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in