Boat launch/ new boat questions. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 08-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Boat launch/ new boat questions.

Well we just got a 15' bass boat 2 months ago, and have already decided to get a biggerboat. We bought a19' bayliner trophy center console on monday. We are planning to take it out tomorrow and fish at Garcon point bridge. Keep in mind that we have only launched our bass boat about 10 times and certainly are no pros. I am in Milton, so where is an easy boat launch to get to garcon point bridge? The one all the way down avalon right before the bridge? Any tips on launching a boat this size compared to the 15' bass boat? Also what kind of bait are you guys using out there? Doesn't really matter what I catch, jsut not catfish. I've caught about 50 fishin the two months I've been fishing (in blackwater bay) about 45 have been salt water catfish, which are annoying and just get thrown back. I don't knowmuch fishing lingo yet so it would be great if run it by real slow. Thanks.
scottydoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Blue Marlin

Default RE: Boat launch/ new boat questions.

As far as where to launch, Go to archie glover. Just take it easy coming out of the mouth because it can get kind of shallow.
Murphy's Law is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
Mingo

I would launch at the shell pile in bagdad. Turn on ella st off of forsyth, go to the end. I have a 25' center console and I have had no problems putting in there. I would use the rock side of the ramp.

Rodznreelz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Rodznreelz (8/20/2008)I would launch at the shell pile in bagdad. Turn on ella st off of forsyth, go to the end. I have a 25' center console and I have had no problems putting in there. I would use the rock side of the ramp.

Well we took the boat out fishing today and launched here and drove up to garon point. The dock here seems really short and has only one post to tie up at the end. we couldn't get out new depth finder to calibrate the depth so we just had be careful. No problems getting out. We only caught a ray and 2 catfish near the bridge. What kind of set up do you use out there? We were set up for fish on the bottom. Saw a bunch of mullet and some dolphins out there. We caught a bunch of catfish in between the bridge and the launch. On the way back we ran into a couple of problems. We tied up to dock and backed the trailer in the water. My dad started the engine and was gonna drive up on hte trailer, but the steering wheel woulnd't turn. Strange. Pulled the boat onto the trailer and when using my dodge truck, out tires started spinning in ruts in the rocky dirt launch from other people. Nothing big there, but looking for a better launch. Get the boat out of the water and realize that the prop is a little bent. It seems like a very thin and cheap one compared to one on our bass boat that we have bottomed out on a couple times goin slow in the shallows but never had a problem. We will definately have to make sure the depth finder is set up right next time. I really need some help with what kind of set up to use for what kind of fish. THanks
Old 08-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Snapper

I usually fish 3 mile bridge at night, or the lights in Bayou Texar, or Mulat Bayou at night. The bait that always seems to work in the bay is gulp. Get some 3 inch new penny shrimp and a 1/4 ounce jighead and you will catch fish. You can also use gulp jerkshad they are working well now also try new penny and sapphire. If you have a cast net/bait net catch some LY or some pinfish and freeline them. We have been catching white trout, specks, reds, blues, and of course stupid skipjack.
Glastronix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Cool. THanks for the reply. I have only been bottom fishing with a big wait as I mentioned above. Is that how you set up your line for these fish? I new to this and don't what fish eat on the bottom or top or how set up for top of the water fishing and what not. What do you use to catch mullet other than a net? Htey look like they only stay on the top of the water to eat? I have been using some shrimp and whole squid, frozen form walmart. Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Mingo

Scotty thier are some really shallow spots around that Garson bridge be carefull. Like mentioned before i would get a cast net and learn to use that right away if you dont know how to use one already. Its the fastest and easiest way to get good bait. If your fishing with squid and half rotten shrimp well thats what them catfish love. You puta live mullet on your line and you reduce some of those catfish ..........only some. i use a fishfinder rig for bottom fishing. Dont use alot of weight either sometimes just a little bullet sinker works for me. I also use a cork in shallow water and tie a twenty pound leader about two or three feet from the cork, this really works good for trout and reds. i put a few split shot on the leader to keep the bait from swimming to the surface too much. As far as launching the boat people have different ways that are comfortable to them. The mistake i see alot of people make is they back the trailor to far into the water and then try to drive on the trailor. now the boat is mostly floating over the trailer causing it to get of center of the rails. you should be able to raise your trim and drive the boat on the trailor. give it a little gas to drive it up your trailer support rails. Some boat ramps are really shallow so if i cant drive it up the trailor well just tie it off get out and pull in on the trailor but dont forget to raise that motor. hope my two cents made some sense.
Funman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Where is the best/cheapest place to get a cast net? WHat size do I need; the one I saw at walmart was 3.5 I think. I have throw one a few times before, so I shouldn't have to much a problem there. What do I need to catch red fish? In the few times I've been out I have only caught two reds. One wastoo small and the other was too big (33+")? Am I correct in thinking that dolphins scare all the fish away and it isn't good to fish when they come around?

My dad found that the gps depth/fish finder wasn't working because of one of the prongs in the plug was a little bent.:banghead. And it looks like the steering stopped working becauase a cable is stuck inside the motar. No clue as to when the prop got bent. Sorry for all the questions.

Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in