Black Drum question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 06-09-2010, 03:29 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Black Drum question

Does anyone know what the best way is to catch black drum. There are some huge ones around my dock.
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Black Drum question

What have you tried? Every time I catch them, I'm fishing for something else and usually using dead shrimp
choppedliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Frozen peeled shrimp tied to a popping cork hanging down 2 1/2 or you can fish the same bait on the bottom. To really get them excited chum to water lightly.
slaudawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Take a crab and pull off his legs and pinchers . Throw him down and stomp him and put him on your hook. If there is a big one there he will find it. We use to catch them in the bay's and rivers like this in October. Caught several in the 30lb range. They also like whole pogies.

Joey Welch

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

jlw1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
Sailfish

I was targetting 60-100 pounders in titusville. I used frozen blue crabs... Good size eatin' size crabs... I would take them frozen to the pier and would cut them in half 'tween the eyes... I would poke my hook holes with my knife so as not to dull the hook, thru the side of the crab at the widest spot when he was whole... I would drift with balloon, to nearly under the bridge. If no useable wind, I would put my reel (30 internationals) in free spool with clicker on to prevent bird nest, I would walk it to the foot of the pier, climb over, climb up the slope to the bridge, and down the bridge to even with my gear and drop it with no weight or balloon....
Walk back, take up the slack, leave it in free spool and clicker on and open a cold beer... and wait...

I tried whole live crabs and feel they don't always draw the fish... I tried live crab i chopped in half and found the insides were lost too soon... The frozen cut in half gave me the most scent for the longest time... I have fought and released 3 in one night (had limited luck in full light)

I used 80 pound mono leader (fluro was new tech and costly) and used the Mustads that had the flattened sides of the shank for strength... can't remember the ought size but the gap was over an inch and shank nearly 3 inch or so...

The very large units will have worms but I was releasing them after I decided these were not the greatest table fare....
Brent
Old 06-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #6
Grouper

I had a 40+/- pounder pick up a Gulp shrimp in nuclear chicken just last night at the 3-mb. I was fishing for reds when he came swimming by, put the bait in front of him and the next thing I know I had a hard 40 minute fight on my hands. I got him to the top on his side about 4-5 times but just as soon as thought he had given up he headed straight down again. Finally he got my line around a piling and broke me off.
GENTLE WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in