Best inshore spinning reel? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree13Likes

Old 07-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
ldw
Ruby Red Lip

Default Best inshore spinning reel?

In need of new reels for trout reds and Spanish, etc... Have had Penn SS for years and always having to take them in for repair. Have tried the Penn battle but one year into it, it went into the shop. I Have owned one shimano and it never had a problem once. So looks like I'll go with shimano. What is the best, most durable, salt water capable reel out there? Price no issue. With small kids my gear gets treated rough and I wade fish a good bit so my reels get soaked. Love to hear anyone's comment on "the BEST" spinning reel out there. Also, I'm fishing all braided line.
ldw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
White Marlin

This is very surprising to hear on your Penn's.

I've used Penn's all my life, never had to take one in for repair before I wore all the gears/bearings out.

Can't really recommend a different reel for you to try.
Maybe others can offer their opinions...
Strickly Fishin' likes this.
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldw View Post
In need of new reels for trout reds and Spanish, etc... Have had Penn SS for years and always having to take them in for repair. Have tried the Penn battle but one year into it, it went into the shop. I Have owned one shimano and it never had a problem once. So looks like I'll go with shimano. What is the best, most durable, salt water capable reel out there? Price no issue. With small kids my gear gets treated rough and I wade fish a good bit so my reels get soaked. Love to hear anyone's comment on "the BEST" spinning reel out there. Also, I'm fishing all braided line.
Shimano makes a fine reel, but I have sworn off of Shimano. The reason is because they do not support their reels past about 5 years. When you pay good money for a reel it should not have to be replaced when the parts for that particular model runs out. For instance I have Penns that are over 30 years old and you can still get parts. I have a Daiwa that old as well, and you can still get parts. So what makes Shimano think they can discontinue a model and not support that model with parts. I personally believe and this is just my opinion but it is greed. Forcing you to buy a new reel whenever yours starts having problems, simply because parts are no longer available to fix it right. I will also tell you I am really impressed with the new Daiwa BG series. Pretty impressed with them so far!
RMS, MrFish, LIM-IT-OUT and 1 others like this.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

I was in the same boat, I used Penn for decades and was loyal thru and thru, till I used a shimano then it was over for penn. My last 440SS is on my sabiki rod and it grinds and feels like crap and yes I pulled the cover when bought new out of the box and put more grease in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
Shimano makes a fine reel, but I have sworn off of Shimano. The reason is because they do not support their reels past about 5 years. When you pay good money for a reel it should not have to be replaced when the parts for that particular model runs out. For instance I have Penns that are over 30 years old and you can still get parts. I have a Daiwa that old as well, and you can still get parts. So what makes Shimano think they can discontinue a model and not support that model with parts. I personally believe and this is just my opinion but it is greed. Forcing you to buy a new reel whenever yours starts having problems, simply because parts are no longer available to fix it right. I will also tell you I am really impressed with the new Daiwa BG series. Pretty impressed with them so far!

Hmm well that shines a new light, I didn't know that.

Last edited by Boat-Dude; 07-16-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Boat-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
Snapper

I had issue with mid grade Penn's as well(Battle, Fierce, Pursuit). I took em to Ocean Master Keith for service and a little a supe up. Been money ever since. Shimano makes a great reel, no question about it. I just like Penns. Especially the bang for your buck that you get out of the ones I listed above.
Wugitus likes this.
Simonj31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier-Dude View Post
I was in the same boat, I used Penn for decades and was loyal thru and thru, till I used a shimano then it was over for penn. My last 440SS is on my sabiki rod and it grinds and feels like crap and yes I pulled the cover when bought new out of the box and put more grease in them.

Hmm well that shines a new light, I didn't know that.

I have some older Penn SSM's 650 through 950 as well as a couple of older Penn Slammers and never a problem. The smaller SSG's however (350 and 450)which are graphite bought new around the same time are long gone. Completely worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strickly Fishin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

I love my Penn Battles and my KK Penn 700 greenie, but the feel of this new one by 13 Creed X is got me wondering. Ain't used it yet so can't give a real opinion on it but just messing with it and my battles, it's smoother then them!!! Pompano Joe and Oceanmaster can fix up whatever you get so no worries, just go by feel since it's an extension of ya!!!
AscendAngler and KnotSure like this.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

Shimano Stella 3000XG

Easy answer

Why because it Lasts, smoothest reel, and handles saltwater like a charm.

Like everything in the world u get what u pay for.

If ur addicted to fishing and plan on using it practically daily and u have money. Then DONT hesitate and buy you the best reel on the market. U wont be disappointed

Now would you like to know what the BEST rod is to match that reel? LOL

Shimano Stella's have been at the top of the spinning reel game since they've come out all other companies and competitors are ONLY trying to reach their bar

From a 3000 to a 20k inshore to offshore there is ONLY 1 Best
lobsterman and Boat-Dude like this.

Last edited by LIM-IT-OUT; 07-16-2017 at 09:32 PM.
LIM-IT-OUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
Agreedfinding parts for a 15 year old stella is impossible
cody&ryand and AscendAngler like this.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

I'm fond of Penn and Shimano. As for Shimano's, I've always had good luck when I had my Stradics before having to sell them some years back. Now I've got Penns and they will horse nearly everything in that bites the hook.

Last edited by AscendAngler; 07-17-2017 at 05:22 PM.
AscendAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in