Best inshore saltwater spinning rod? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree15Likes

Old 04-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Best inshore saltwater spinning rod?

Most of this will probably be a "mines the best" or just opinions, however what would y'all say is the finest medium heavy spinning rod you can buy that will last many years?
lollygagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
I'd Love to Catch a
White Marlin

Star Rods Stellar Lite series. Light as hell. Feels amazing. Casts like a dream. Put as much heat as you want on it too, cause it's got a lifetime warranty. Get it replaced no questions asked no matter how it breaks. Hands down best value for the money in my opinion. LOVE my 8' medium Stellar Lite.
ThaFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
White Marlin

Easy, use the best rod/reel you can afford.

But if you need brand names...I have a Wal-Mart Penn combo I pd. I think $65 several yrs. ago and THIS I my favorite rod of all the rods I have. Landed everything from bream to Spanish, pomps, reds, hundreds of trout and so on.

Use equipment that you are comfortable with and control from a casting, fish-fighting standpoint.

Just my opinion..
NoMoSurf and THONAS J. RYAN like this.
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Snapper

The 7-8 ft medium heavy ugly stiks are tough as nails and last a loooooong time. We fish a lot, and we don't baby the rods in the boat. We've eventually broken a few of them, but it took almost a decade of hard use to do it, and most are still going strong.
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
MathGeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Sailfish

I have to agree math geek
THONAS J. RYAN likes this.
lollygagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
Young Pier Rat
Snapper

Go with a custom rod. I can build a good rod the way I want for the same price as a really good store bought rod. You can put what you want on it. The options are endless
Jackin' 'Em Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Grouper

I couldnt disagree more on the Ugly Stik. The only thing theyre good for is trolling from the kayak.

Ive got Star, Shimano and Wright & Mcgill rods I couldnt be happier with. Get something with a lifetime warranty and youre good to go.
NoMoSurf likes this.
The Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
White Marlin

Yeah, I dont like Ugly Stik rods either. Good rods and almost indestructible. I just hate the action.

I dont know if you are talking best period, or best for the buck. Right now, my favorite is an Abu Garcia Verittas. They are about $70-$80 and love it. Other nice ones that I have had are G Loomis and Star. My favorite that I ever owned, hands down, EVER EVER EVER was a Shimano Interline. It had no guides, the line ran inside the rod. It was super fast action and would cast a MILE!!!! I read reviews of them that said the casting was bad, but not for me. By FAR the best rod that I have ever owned. REALLY RARE to find now. And cost a fortune when you do. They have a cult following.

The best rod is really a personal thing. Alot of people like Ugly Stiks, I hate them. Just go look at some rods and find one with a price, action and weight that you like.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
Low speed, low drag.
Grand Slam

I own star, key largo, shimano and G Loomis inshore rods. All have their purpose and have worked great for me.
grouper22 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
I'd Love to Catch a
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSurf View Post
My favorite that I ever owned, hands down, EVER EVER EVER was a Shimano Interline. It had no guides, the line ran inside the rod. It was super fast action and would cast a MILE!!!! I read reviews of them that said the casting was bad, but not for me. By FAR the best rod that I have ever owned. REALLY RARE to find now. And cost a fortune when you do. They have a cult following.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those Interline rods made by Daiwa? I've never tried one but they look pretty cool!
ThaFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in