Best All Around Artificial Lure for Redfish & Trout??? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default Best All Around Artificial Lure for Redfish & Trout???

I'm looking for the your best overall artificial lures for tempting Redfish and Trout. I want lures that are pretty heavy if possible so I can cast a long distance to the neighbor's docks not far from our community dock where I'll be fishing from. Water is clear with grass around and goes from 8' all the way down to 1' in the area I'll be fishing.

My whole reason for this is I want to have my two inshore poles ready for when I get home from work so I can just walk out to the dock and start fishing. I usually only have an hour or two from the time I get home till the sun sets so not worried about live bait, just something to cast for a chance at Trout or Redfish after work for a bit. I'll probably pick the top 3 or 4 suggestions and see what works best for me so thanks for taking the time to tell me what you have found works best for you under this kind of situation.
69Viking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Default Sounds like a rattle-trap to me

Can work it high, or low, fast or slow.

And you can sail one a mile.
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Trigger

Throw a 1/2 ounce to 3/4 ounce jig head on with a new penny gulp. Or you can get the weedless setups with a gulp seeing as you have a lot of grass. The heavier the jig, the farther you can cast, but it's near impossible to keep it out of the weeds. I've had a little luck with a cajun thunder poppin cork with a gulp hanging from it. Just a few options there. In the warmer months you can have pretty good luck with just about any top water at dusk and dawn. BTW, if you haven't already, spool up with some braid and you can cast even further.
xxxxxxkidsoncoffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsoncoffee View Post
Throw a 1/2 ounce to 3/4 ounce jig head on with a new penny gulp. Or you can get the weedless setups with a gulp seeing as you have a lot of grass. The heavier the jig, the farther you can cast, but it's near impossible to keep it out of the weeds. I've had a little luck with a cajun thunder poppin cork with a gulp hanging from it. Just a few options there. In the warmer months you can have pretty good luck with just about any top water at dusk and dawn. BTW, if you haven't already, spool up with some braid and you can cast even further.
+1 on everything he said.

And I LOVE topwater at dawn or dusk. And you can throw bigger ones a mile.
Jim
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Trigger

Default Strike Pro Hunchback

One of my favorite new topwater lures is a Strike Pro Hunchback. Makes tons of noise and really catches the fishes attention. They are a little pricey, but I very much enjoy them.
reeladdiction92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
White Marlin

Thanks guys for the suggestions so far. Like I said I'll probably pick a few of them to try of different types. I like that Strike Pro Hunchback, looks easy to use without having to work it allot like some others I've tried. Check out the one below, won this at one of the fishing shows last year but haven't tried it yet. I would never buy one, way too expensive. I think I'll try that one tomorrow after work. Keep em coming, I have double points to earn at Bass Pro this weekend when my Tax Refund arrives!
Attached Images

Last edited by 69Viking; 02-22-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
Trigger

Unfortunately they don't sell those at Bass Pro Shops.
reeladdiction92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeladdiction92 View Post
Unfortunately they don't sell those at Bass Pro Shops.
Yeah I figured that out searching online, found them online at Cabelas. I'll have to check Broxsons and Half Hitch in Navarre and see if they have them.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
Sailfish

Default Best All-Around Artificial Lure

All of the suggested lures are good but.....

Unfortunately, there's no such thing! A lure will become hot, then fall out of favor.

I have a whole box full of lures; all of which will work at one time or another.

I just let the fish tell me what they want at a particular time. JMHO C2
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie2 View Post
All of the suggested lures are good but.....

Unfortunately, there's no such thing! A lure will become hot, then fall out of favor.

I have a whole box full of lures; all of which will work at one time or another.

I just let the fish tell me what they want at a particular time. JMHO C2
I'm hoping with enough input I'll select a few (probably more than a few) to have in a little tackle box that goes with me and I'll figure out what works in my area at that time. If everyone lists their favorites that gives me a good list to pick and choose from to make my "after work from the dock kit" per say! Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in