Begginer - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 08-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Begginer

Im a freswater fisherman thats really starting to like saltwater fishing, Ive been mainly doing this inshore fishing and off the shore on the NAS Naval base. Im still very new at it and Im trying to learn about the species, what there biting, how to catch them and what seasons to catch them?? Whats the best way to start? Is thereany good reference material for someone like myself? Could anyone out there give me some simple advice?? Thanks!!!
mazement1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Praedator
Grand Slam

Default RE: Begginer

You are starting off right by coming here. Search the inshore reportssection here. Many times folks will mention what they were using for bait and their technique etc... Browse the Inshore Q&A as well. This forum cuts down on the amount of trial an error a guy needs to do on the water. Just poke around and read as much as possible. I can't catch a damn thing on a hook and line:banghead. So I am no help in that aspect.
Telum Pisces is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

If your looking to catch reds and specks, try the gold spoon, people tell me it the "Idiot Lure", all you do is cast and reel.
gocatchfish37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
WW2
Sailfish

If you've got the ability book a charter with on of the inshore guides, they will teach you everything you need to know to get a really good start. Matt Mcleod would probably be my first choice to start with, he's done it all pretty much, and he knows offshore too so you can learn the full range.
WW2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thanks guys!!! i have been using a silver spoon, I'll go out and get me a gold one today. I went on Capt Bazz fishing charter and we was catching sheephead. Latley Ive been fishing here on the naval base with this guy whos beengoing. We catch baitfsih, hook em and throw it out there waiting for anything to take it. No luck yet!!!I also been taking the spoon looking for ladyfish to hook. Thats the only fishing that Ive been doing on my own. Whats good around this season and whats the best live bait?
mazement1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

[/quote] whats the best live bait?[/quote]

There are many good live baits, pinfish, croaker, ly, menhaden, shrimp.etc.

Shrimp under a popping cork works well. You cant beat a baby LY.
gocatchfish37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Grouper

If you want to have some fun on the beach, there are multiple species to catch.Go out somewhere along Pcola beach and throw a gotcha, bucktail, pomp jig, or a spoon. With these, you will get ladies, hardtails, blues, spanish, and maybe some sharks! They are thick right now and you shouldn't have a problem getting a hook up. Make sure you have some steel leader on!
Private Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2008, 06:10 AM   #8
Snapper

One of the quickest and best lessons that you can get is by saving your allowance (extra money) and hiring a local guide for a day to take you fishing. These guys are professionals and will do a good job on educating you about the local waters and the marine life. And they have a way of making it fun.

I did this when I want to learn to fish for snook and tarpon in South Florida. It was the best money I could spend.

I did this for my youngest son's birthdayhere in Pensacola a few years back. He still talks about it.

Danno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in