Any advice would be really welcome!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 05-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Newbie Inshore Fisherman
Cigar Minnow

Smile Any advice would be really welcome!!

I am taking my 24' pontoon boat to the beach to take my family out fishing in the Perdido Bay area. My niece and nephew love to fish, and it's actually hard to get them to move when we're catching Pinfish. It's funny, they just love to catch them, but my Brother-in-Law and I are begging them to move. As long as they're happy, I guess. Turns out my 70 year old Mom absolutely loves to fish also, and it would make my day to see her catch something we could take a picture of her with. I'll come back to this forum and sing y'alls praises and post them if I do.
I rented a Pontoon last year, and we had fun, but didn't catch anything worthwhile (we fished the artificial reefs), but the rental time factor was definitely a factor(10am-4pm).
I have done some research, and would love some advice or criticism on what I plan. I'm assuming it would be stupid in a big way to try to go through the pass, and I hate to clog traffic by sitting in the pass.
I am staying on Perdido Key across from Ono island (couldn't begin to afford Ono Island itself) around June 6th. I plan on trying to find Mullet north of the Pass bridge with a cast net, since I read that here on this board (by sight?) (around piers?). Should I just hop in my car and drive to the bridge, or take the boat somewhere and throw the cast net off of it? Can I catch these Mullet the evening before, like do they appear at dusk, or just in the early morning? I just don't want to waste prime fishing time catching bait.
Once I catch them, I plan on taking them to either the piers around Ono island, or the flats Wolf Bay. I think there's flats on Wolf Bay. I don't care what we catch, but I would prefer the biggest thing possible, and editable is always a plus(but not a total necessity).
I think the biggest fish we can catch is the Sheepshead, and I have to fish around rock and bridge pilings for them. Use crabs and shrimp with slip floats for them(from this board... thanks!!).
So with the kids, I'll start with taking them around the piers with mullet, if that doesn't work try the flats in Wolf Bay (it looked like there were flats over there), just cast our mullet with the popping floats out over the flats.
After that, I'll head to the Foley expressway bridge and try for Sheepshead around the supports. Over by the wharf. Try to stay out of the way of boats.
If that doesn't work, I'll hook the Mullet through the eyes and try trolling with them and some rapalas back around Ono island, while everyone looks at the beautiful houses.
If we still don't catch anything, through the mullet on the grill and call it a day.... and try fishing with the mullet at night around the lighted piers on Ono.
I would really like my family to catch some fish that wouldn't be in the "bait fish" this time if at all possible.

Thanks for reading this, and any help would be greatly appreciated!! If it sounds like I know what I'm doing, I don't. I just read up on this board.
davidjimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
Trigger

Pinfish are great bait. While the kids are catching them y'all can put them under a popping cork and catch trout and reds. Just cast out past where the kids are catching the pinfish. I don't know about Sheepshead in June, never fished for them then. But all of my biggest trout have been caught on pinfish and popping corks. Sorry I can't help more, I'm not as experienced as most of the people on here.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
Newbie Inshore Fisherman
Cigar Minnow

Hey, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. When we rented the pontoon last year and fished the artificial reefs, we did try to use Pinfish, but didn't get one bight on them. Maybe it was just the wrong time. Will try to put them under a popping cork, though.
davidjimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
inshore, perdido, pontoon boat, trolling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in