advice for starting inshore tackle box please! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default advice for starting inshore tackle box please!

So I've finally gotten some time to fish with my new job, but the only problem is I can't locate my tackle (wasn't much anyway)! I've got a $100 gift card to bass pro and I want to use it all and possibly some cash on starting a new box. No boat at the moment (have an old 18 ft seacraft just need to find a motor) so ill be fishing mainly off my pier just towards pirates cove from Ross point. Please give me some specific stuff from topwater to soft plastics and whatever else. Targeting specks, reds and flounder. Thanks a lot yall, this is a great forum and I know ill get some great ideas. Please be specific on color and stuff on topwater stuff b/c I have never done much of that. I'll bug yall later on presentation and retrieve. War eagle
AUTigers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
AAR
Snapper

You should just cheat and buy fish at the pet store.

wahweagle
AAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to feelin' wright

I would suggest 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigheads and a bucket of gulp shads. They catch just about anything. Some topwaters that I like to use are the mirror lure 52m. I have also had good luck with some swimbaits like the yozuri crystal minnow.
I recently purchased some sebile chugger and they have caught fish but I dont know if they are worth the price as they are higher than a giraffes butthole. Hope this get you started. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
feelin' wright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

The 7M is the floater mirrolure, the 52M is medium runner. Both are great lures. Look for a Zara II in silver flash that rattles.
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Grouper

+1 on the Gulps, I buy more Gulps and jigheads than anything else. Caught everything from redfish, speckled trout, black drum, and flounder on them.
GENTLE WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENTLE WOLF View Post
+1 on the Gulps, I buy more Gulps and jigheads than anything else. Caught everything from redfish, speckled trout, black drum, and flounder on them.
GULPS! are amazing. I quit throwing jig heads sometime ago. With our thick grass I prefer to rig mine weedless! I like the Owner 4/0 twist lock hook in 1/8oz. I would also invest in a handful of Aqua Dream Gold Spoons in 1/4oz and the great equalizer inshore is the Mirrolure Mirrodine 17mr. Any color will work fine!!!!!

Here is a link to the weedless hooks. There are many great manufacturers of them including Mission Fishin, Slayer Inc and Mustad

http://www.ownerhooks.com/pages/prod.../basshooks.htm

Look for the TWISTLOCK™ 3X WEIGHTED
w/ CENTERING PIN
www.southagain.com
www.pensacolafishcharters.com
[email protected]
Inshore/Nearshore Charters
Brad King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 03:14 AM   #7
Sailfish

As for me, I notice the more experienced and accomplished I get as an angler, the smaller my tackle box seems to get. I have had the good fortune to fish with guides all along the Gulf Coast for everything from yellowfin tuna to tripletail, and what I would suggest is that you study your local waters- it appears from your post that you live on the water, so you are fortunate indeed. Get some good leader material- flourocarbon is best. A Sidewinder spoon is one of the best all around saltwater lures ever, in gold or silver- 1/3 oz. is the size I like. If you have the dock, let's hope it is lighted- if not, spend all your money lighting the dock, then figure out a way to fish your lights by cast netting your own live bait or whatever. Just my 2 cents...Mike
Garmin 540S GPS/Bottom Machine
Sound by Clarion and Bazooka
Coastal Night Lights Transom LED's
Minn Kota Riptide Co-Pilot/Auto Pilot GPS Enabled Remote Control Trolling Motor
mdrobe2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Throw out a live bait under a cork and set the pole in a holder. Then keep yourself busy by casting what everyone posted above. Can't go wrong with a spoon or bumping a Gulp jig or DOA along the bottom.
bleachcola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Gulp are without a doubt a must have, I have also have had a lot of luck on a white Bomber Badonk-a-donk in that area. A bronze color jerkbait like the Sebile stick shad is a great bait too, but they are kinda pricy. A MirrOdine 17mr will do just as good I can just cast the sebile a mile. Spoons (gold and silver) are also a must have in my opinion. Hope this helps.
mdmack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
Snapper

I must be doing something wrong cause I have never caught a fish using a Gulp 3" New Penny Shrimp.. Usually rig them with a jig head. What am I doing wrong?
Trophy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in