advice needed - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default advice needed

I'm a newbie to this forum and looking for a little inshore fishing and equipment advice. Staying up in Plantation harbor RV for May and June and would like to fish some. Will be in Wolf bay and around it in a 21' CC. I have plenty of casting reels, but no spinning reels. What would be a good rod reel combo. to have. I don't want to go high end or even close as these reels will be for guests, but I do want some salt water resistance. Are there some reels in the $30 to $40 range that would be suitable? What type line is best for either reel and lb test. I am in Louisiana, but have not fished in quite a while and looking to get back into it. Is Wolf bay a good fishing location? I realize this is pretty open ended, but I need to start somewhere and for the $90 out of state licens I would like to at least have a sporting chance. Any artificial bait recommendations would be appreciated too.
ptstlucie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Grouper

Not sure about the $30-$40 range but I know for around $60-$75 you can pick up reels from several manufacturers that will probably serve you well enough. Sometimes you can catch a break on price on new reels from some ebay stores. I picked up an Okuma Trio S 40 for around $60 a while back. Also, last year I picked up a couple of Penn Sargus reels for around $55 each. Wolf bay is an excellent fishery. Probably the easiest and surest way of catching fish during May and June would be to hit some dock lights at night for trout and reds. Check Basstracker66's reports. He does well around that area I believe. As for line, you will get as many different answers as people who answer but I personally use 15 or 20 lb Spiderwire stealth braid with a 20 lb. florocarbon leader joined to the braid with a uni to uni knot. My normal fishing partner uses the same setup but with Powerpro braid.

Also, though I don't think you asked this, my favorite lure to use around dock lights is a 1/2 ounce DOA shrimp, either in glow or holographic glitter. A lot of people use live bait, either shrimp or baitfish of some kind but I don't like the mess or aggravation of livebait for dock light fishing.
johnboatjosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Snapper

Wirelessly posted

bass pro has a decent Pflueger combo spinning setup with 2500 reel and 1 piece 7' rod for $60

http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-Trion-GX7-Spinning-Rod-and-Reel-Combos/product/100904/49644
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Thx for the suggestions. Went to Bass Pro today. Didnt think the Plueger reel looked too good. I think the Okuma will be the way to go.
ptstlucie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
White Marlin

Get a quantum. I swear by them.
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in