"chug" type top water vs. "walk the dog" type top water - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 06-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Mingo

Default "chug" type top water vs. "walk the dog" type top water

What are the advantages ofeach of them? Which ones do you prefer and why? Do different situations permit different styles?
DukeDevil91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: "chug" type top water vs. "walk the dog" type top water

I love walk the dog. Specifically the Zara Puppy. I like it because you can fish it relatively fast and get a consistent retrieve pattern going. It's much harder to get a nice pattern going with a popper. Poppers I like more for slower presentations like for bass. Even a propbait.
joe bag o donuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Mingo

Depends on the fish. I'll throw top dog, walking bait and twitching bait. I let the fish decide. Speed clips come in reel handy.

JP
jpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Trigger

I'll second the Zara spook/spook jr.

I like the walk the dog baits because I have caught more fish on them than on popper type. The spooks are a little quieter than the chug baits if you slow them down a little, and almost as noisy if you really work them hard/fast. I also think the action is just something that makes fish want to eat it, just zig-zagging back and forth, begging to be train wrecked.

The chugbug style baits I have found to be better when

A: the fish are super active and missing a spook alot. I had this happen once while fishing for Hybrids up in GA, I got 5 on a chug bug before my buddy even hooked up on a spook, they were hitting AT it, but not getting hooked, he changed baits and started catching fish.

B: if there is lots of little pieces of grass floating on the water and snagging on the hooks. That makes it real tough to get the action right on a spook. The chugbug will still have the same action even with a little grass on the hook.

C: You start to get tired from walking the dog after several hours and the pausesin the retrieve of the chugger are a welcome break.

there is nothing better than walking a spook across glass slick water and having a big trout or redfish or bass unload on it. Gives me chills!
wetaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Ifish top water a lot and like a walk the dog action better when the surface is slick or almost slick. when it is rough walk the dog action usually dosnt alow the bait to work as wellbecause it torpedoes into the chop.i have used chugger style baits sucesfully when it is slick but prefer them when the surface is choppier the chugging noise seems to draw attention to the bait better. usually if it is slick and i throw a chugger style i just work it slower not causing as much commotion. both styles have been equally effective for me but i let the surface conditions determine which one i start with and then i may change.
PERDIDO PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
White Marlin

Quote:
PERDIDO PIRATE (6/26/2008)Ifish top water a lot and like a walk the dog action better when the surface is slick or almost slick. when it is rough walk the dog action usually dosnt alow the bait to work as wellbecause it torpedoes into the chop.i have used chugger style baits sucesfully when it is slick but prefer them when the surface is choppier the chugging noise seems to draw attention to the bait better. usually if it is slick and i throw a chugger style i just work it slower not causing as much commotion. both styles have been equally effective for me but i let the surface conditions determine which one i start with and then i may change.
I agree with you... I keep a large variety of topwaters on hand. Depending on the water clarity, chop, presence of bait.. So on and so forth. An un0weighted jerk bait rigged weedless ripped a across the top can be an awesome Topwater bait as well. Feed the fish what they wanna eat, and you can't go wrong.

My only problem is I can't catch a dang redfish on Top's to save my life.:banghead Starting to get a little aggrevating.

I'll trade a great day of Topwater trout fishing with someone for a great day of Redfishing:doh
www.southagain.com
www.pensacolafishcharters.com
[email protected]
Inshore/Nearshore Charters
Brad King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in