What rigs do you use for Snapper? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default What rigs do you use for Snapper?

What rigs do you use for snapper? I mostly see people use something that looks like a giant Carolina rig. Hook, about 3ft of flouro leader, swivel, and a sliding weight on the main line. I have tried this wsetup, but mostly get my bait stolen from all the smaller fish that I never even feel because of the "loose" line at the end.

I usually use what I call a dropper rig. It's about 3ft of flouro leader with a snap swivel at the bottom (for the weight) and a barrel swivel at the top. Somewhere in the middle is a dropper loop /hook. I have ALOT fewer instances of stolen bait, alot more small fish caught, but no big ones... And I am fishing same reefs where others are catching nice snapper.

Anyone have any input?
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

The larger ones will be higher in the water column. We catch on top using chum.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
White Marlin

Interesting. Did not know that. Thanks for the tips.
How high in colum? I'm usually in 55-65ft of water.
Higher in column, we usually catch Spades... Sometimes BIG ones! haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Either Carolina rig of various lengths and leader strengths, knocker rigs and freelined baits
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
The Yakslayer
Snapper

I kayak fish and sometimes see the snapper come up to within 5 or 10 feet of the surface without chum. I often catch good snapper in the 30-40 ft depths when the water is 65 ft, but they'll change depths and spook to the bottom from time to time.

Shorten your 'carolina' rig if you're not feeling them, but snapper are usually not the shy ones... its the triggers and other miscellaneous bandits that often steal your bait unnoticed. Try live bait and your strikes should be more noticeable..... consider that your bait will constantly be trying to escape which means you'll always have a tight line to the sinker and a hungry snapper chasing bait will have to make a more aggressive strike to hit a moving target.
BlackJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
Trigger

Use both. Look at the bait your using. If you're on a heavily fished public wreck you may have to lighten your line, or spend the time to catch live bait. Cigs, threadfin, squirrelfish, etc. And if nobody's catching fish try other stuff. If you're not catching anything it may not be your luck, there probably isnt much there.
ryanbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
White Marlin

We almost always have live bait in the middle of the coumn. All we have ever caught on it were Kings though.
I'm afraid to go any smaller on the leader. We already use as small as 20lb flouro...
I know the fish are there. Other people are catching them and I can see them on the finder. We are just doing something wrong...
Old 06-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Dropper rig or chicken rigs are good but for the bigger fish use an egg sinker and a long leader ( 4' or better ), 40 to 60 #with about a 6/0 circle hook.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Grouper

What is a chicken rig lobsterman and whae you say 40 to 60 do you mean mono or fluor went to a public spot today didnt catch anything while boat beside me loaded up on 10 to 20 lb snapper my wife and kids are starting to hate fishing i think they arent liking me much either
floorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorman1 View Post
What is a chicken rig lobsterman and whae you say 40 to 60 do you mean mono or fluor went to a public spot today didnt catch anything while boat beside me loaded up on 10 to 20 lb snapper my wife and kids are starting to hate fishing i think they arent liking me much either
Man thats hiarious sorry bout your luck and family issues lol.... I have been on the same boat with someone fishing flouro and I didnt have any he whooped me( he had about a 10 ft leader I begged him for half he just laughed)Flouro the only way togo Chumming also very good for gettin them around your boat....
flukedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in