Uploading Public numbers to Garmin 93SV - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Old 11-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
Mingo

Location: Permanent Resident of Pensacola, living on North Perdido Bay with the catch of my life Mary
Default Uploading Public numbers to Garmin 93SV

Just added a Gsrmin 93SV to my bay boat. I have the microchip I purchased from Foley. It was installed in a Lowrance GPS. Can it be loaded directly into the Garmin or does it need to be converted?
captfredscharters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

Garmin uses a different chart format for their chips. They charge $$$$ for the chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captfredscharters View Post
Just added a Gsrmin 93SV to my bay boat. I have the microchip I purchased from Foley. It was installed in a Lowrance GPS. Can it be loaded directly into the Garmin or does it need to be converted?
lrak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
Trigger

I have the 94sv. If you look at the menu option on your chart you can increase the detail to be shown on your chart and you will find that a lot of public spots are already included in your map data.
O-SEA-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by captfredscharters View Post
Really depends. Something like Blue Charts or Navonics (commercial charts chips)are quite proprietary and thus copy protected; and not switchable between units (Lowance and Garmin).
If it's a sd card with general numbers like Escambia reefs: you'd have to convert them to something the Garmin can read.
There are several software programs like GPSbabel and GPSUtils that can convert between non-copy protected files formats.

Since your subject says "public" numbers; I'll assume you mean the Escambia ARL or state of Florida ARL. There are several of those lists that already exist in multiple formats (such as .gpx, places like strikelinescharts). Just a matter of writing that format on a comparable chip and loading into the unit.

Last edited by redlegs; 12-13-2016 at 03:30 PM.
redlegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in