Reef hauling barge - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Like Tree14Likes

Old 07-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
Blue Marlin

Default Reef hauling barge

I'm looking at buying a reef hauling self propelled barge. I'd like to rent it out to offset the cost. Should haul 8 coops at a time, maybe more. 1. Any interest by PFF members renting the barge? 2. What would be a good daily rate for me to rent it for?

It should be economical to run, has 4 stroke outboards.
CallMeQuig likes this.
Sea-r-cy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Snapper

Is this going to be Destin based or Pensacola? I'm certain that I'd be game at some point next year...I'd guess you'd be booked up good on weather windows in the winter. As for costs, I am not sure what a good day rate would be. ALso, how would you load the coops? would you be renting a fork lift?
atlantacapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
Blue Marlin

Destin based. I'm sure if there's enough interest, it could be taken by ICW to P-Cola for a few days.
At this time, I have no way to load. It shouldn't be too hard/expensive to hire a lift.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantacapt View Post
Is this going to be Destin based or Pensacola? I'm certain that I'd be game at some point next year...I'd guess you'd be booked up good on weather windows in the winter. As for costs, I am not sure what a good day rate would be. ALso, how would you load the coops? would you be renting a fork lift?
x2 I would be intrested also.. Would you just rent the boat or boat and driver??
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
Blue Marlin

At this point, I'm looking at the legality and liability before I invest the bucks. Seems to be two ways to go, 1. just haul my own reefs, or 2. get a license and buy heavy duty insurance and haul for the public. Feedback indicates there is a market for a rig like this.

In any event, renter/user would have to have a captain's license or be a close friend before I'd let them loose with the barge.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Grouper

I'd be interested for sure......It would be nice if you had a nice steady supply of coops.....That seems to be one of the hardest parts of the equation these days.

2005 24' Action Craft Bay Boat
1990 37' Topaz "Fever Reliever"
www.traditionfishingcharters.com
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
Sailfish

I would be interested as well. Sounds you are talking about a legit barge (I read your other thread and was thinking it would be a pontoon boat type of rig). I think there is a market but I am hard pressed to think you could compete with the local guys that do this. I believe there is a boat down by Patti Shipyard that hauls coops out.

I have often thought of buying a ~$2k pontoon boat and hauling reefs out. Seems like it would pay for itself in a couple of years and might could even rent it out vs. the barge idea...
polar21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
I'd be interested for sure......It would be nice if you had a nice steady supply of coops.....That seems to be one of the hardest parts of the equation these days.
I have an almost unlimited supply, but the freight is expensive.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
Kim
Blue Marlin

That's the problem I have getting them here from Georgia.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #10
Mingo

Why don't you just buy my barge? It's sitting at the shipyard collecting dust....I mean rust. We hauled coops until the gas prices and fishing regulations killed the demand in the pensacola and orange beach area. We did a few county jobs and then Bp hit. Since then its been hard to find a cost effective way to get the coops. The boat needs a few repairs but otherwise is ready to go. I don't have the time to get it running, find materials and then run some trips.

As for making a business out of it I am not sure you can. The actual real demand is limited. Permitting is a pain but robert turpin always went out of his way to assist us and support reef building. at the same time the rules are strict and he very carefully follows them. Because of this it is best to haul standardized materials. Otherwise you will be measuring metal thickness and defining chemical composition on each new product.

Insurance and fuel are expensive. Crews are unreliable when you can't offer steady everyday work. The trick is volume as the run out cost the same. I don't think we ever made a profit, but then again all I wanted out of it was to build a few of my own spots with each load which we did. I guess you could say we were paid in fishing spots.

Seriously, I have about six years of data on sales and cost of this business in my file cabinet. You are welcome to review and make your own business decision. You can rent mine and give it a go. I would be happy to see it working again.
Good luck with the idea.
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in