Private reefs? Interested in purchasing a few - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Private reefs? Interested in purchasing a few

Hey guys,

I'm interested in purchasing or having a few reefs deployed. Within 15 or so miles from the Pass. Any ideas on who to contact? Thanks.
Bryson13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Grouper

There is a guy in Orange Beach, AL that has been doing it for years. He makes artificial pyramid reefs that are supposed to be some of the best, but I've never fished on any. We always dropped chicken coops and they work great. His website is http://www.reefmaker.net/
stauty trout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Snapper

The voice of experience here.

David at the Reefmaker will do a good job for you. If you put them close in like that 2 things are going to happen. 1. You will draw fish but others will find your spot and wear it out. 2. First big storm, goodbye reef, it will get moved and you will likely not find it.

Good Luck.
Instant Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Snapper

Here is a video of a couple that were deployed in 2007 and are 7 miles out.

swander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Snapper

Private reefs are a waste of money. All the snapper you want are at the Liberty Ships and the Bridge Rubble. Why people want to run more than 12 miles offshore to catch a snapper is beyond me.
SnapperSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Trigger

Default Private reefs

I sell chicken coops and have for 16 years. As far as the notion of the public reefs always having great fish on them, I guess my idea of great fish in staggering numbers is different than Snapper Slapper. The public reefs getting hammered and the fish quality going to *** in a hand basket has sold thousands of reefs for me in the past!! All those fishermen and women can't be wrong!!
capt mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt mike View Post
I sell chicken coops and have for 16 years. As far as the notion of the public reefs always having great fish on them, I guess my idea of great fish in staggering numbers is different than Snapper Slapper. The public reefs getting hammered and the fish quality going to *** in a hand basket has sold thousands of reefs for me in the past!! All those fishermen and women can't be wrong!!
What do you charge for something of this nature?
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
Trigger

Default reefs

Swander
Maybe those pyramids were to close in to shore but I am surprised there aren't hundreds of fish on it. The growth on the reef looks great something is wrong those snapper were small and the population of the reef looked bad. Maybe somebody found it and cleaned it off as evidenced by the beer can laying on the bottom close to the reef.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt mike View Post
Swander
Maybe those pyramids were to close in to shore but I am surprised there aren't hundreds of fish on it. The growth on the reef looks great something is wrong those snapper were small and the population of the reef looked bad. Maybe somebody found it and cleaned it off as evidenced by the beer can laying on the bottom close to the reef.
Capt. Mike. That is a public reef that gets hit alot. My son and his friend had just dove it before me and shot 4 ARS all around 20 lbs. there were two more pyrs within 100 ft. and there were huge schools of snapper swimming from pry to pry. you just had to sit and wait. They would come in like ducks on a pond!! My intent was to show a pry in close that has been there for almost 10 years. If I could afford it, I would have some deployed in a heart beat. Here is another site off of Pensacola. Public site. Just a couple years old.

More of the same(public)! Check out the quallity fish at the very end of video!

Last edited by swander; 07-28-2012 at 12:38 PM.
swander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Trigger

Default reefs

I must say my first instinct in the first video was why waste the air to shoot small fish like that but even more important the volume of fish versus the sizable amount of structure. On private coops the amount of fish is usually not in the hundreds but a thousand at and circling the reef. Therefore theres no need to cover the ground that you had to cover to find eligible fish. I wish I knew how to post pictures or video as over the years I have both. I don't dive myself but have many customers and friends that do. If you go to u tube The Emerald Coast Reef Association (ECRA Destin) have been customers of mine for years and they have video of coop reefs posted and on their website in the photo section I have pics that they put on there of the masses of fish on my personal reefs and some really big snapper grouper and triggers that inhabit them. As far as the second video again the fish volume isn't there and the 2 fish you shot are good fish but they were few and far between. I am not trying to boast or offend you but would love to let you ease over on one of my 50-60 foot reefs as you roll out you will be surrounded by hundreds of fish and not all snapper. I catch lots of Cobia on these reefs which I add to stuff that I have learned in my 16-17 years of reef building brings other species that feed and live there.I have had friends try to video in shallow (50) water and the fish were so thick that they obscured the light making filming impossible. The other thing is how often and how much you take off these reefs its like farming you pick it but don't kill it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in