Private reef - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Old 06-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Mingo

Location: Atlanta most the time/Gulf Breeze not enough of the time
Default Private reef

I would love a private reef, one I could count on holding fish. How much and who do I talk to about the process of deploying one?
Thanks a bunch!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Snapper

I have two since before Ivan and neither one has fish on them must be in a bad spot
Old 06-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
Snapper

David Walters. The reef maker . Scuba shack uses him
bfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
Seafox 237 twin outboards
Blue Marlin

I will sell you a pyramid out close to the Allen reef. Good price.....P142
Chapman5011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
Blue Marlin

You do not need a private reef. There are so many out there, you will never be able to fish them all. Call blue water ship store in foley and ask for Scott. For 50 bucks he will fill up a SD card for your machine with every public number from pensacola to Mississippi out to the oil platforms 100 miles out.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
Snapper

Private reefs are worth the money if you like to catch lots of big fish consistently. If you just want to catch a limit of keepers, they are not necessary. But fishing on a private reef that is fished once or twice a year is not comparable to fishing a large public reef that is fished 100's of time a year. I'm not sure what most people's average was this year. But mine was pretty decent I believe at 17.5. Pounds, not inches. But that is because I had a truckload of cages put out 6 years ago. Not all are great. A couple are junk, a couple are above average, and a couple are stars. That is just the way private reefs are. But if you out a couple, let them sit 2 years before you fish them, and then are careful when and how you fish them you will be very happy.

With that said, I only got to snapper fish 4 days during the season, and I couldn't have kept that average up if I fished those spots more than once or twice this year. But, it is proof that if you build some spots, let them set up shop, and fish them sparingly and correctly you will catch big fish.
SnapperSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Got 3 spots 'bout 17 miles south of greyton with 4 chicken coops on each. Caught right at 1100 pounds on 6 trips....and only fished 2 of them...3rd is 9 miles further out!!
Fishun Injun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapperSlapper View Post
Private reefs are worth the money if you like to catch lots of big fish consistently. If you just want to catch a limit of keepers, they are not necessary. But fishing on a private reef that is fished once or twice a year is not comparable to fishing a large public reef that is fished 100's of time a year. I'm not sure what most people's average was this year. But mine was pretty decent I believe at 17.5. Pounds, not inches. But that is because I had a truckload of cages put out 6 years ago. Not all are great. A couple are junk, a couple are above average, and a couple are stars. That is just the way private reefs are. But if you out a couple, let them sit 2 years before you fish them, and then are careful when and how you fish them you will be very happy.

With that said, I only got to snapper fish 4 days during the season, and I couldn't have kept that average up if I fished those spots more than once or twice this year. But, it is proof that if you build some spots, let them set up shop, and fish them sparingly and correctly you will catch big fish.
What happens to these cages when a hurricane comes through. They are going to be moved way away with the current. They cannot weigh a lot. Just curious.
All structures will get moved around during storms. Just curious on yours and their weight.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I would love a private reef, one I could count on holding fish. How much and who do I talk to about the process of deploying one?
Thanks a bunch!
Walter marine.
1500 - 2500 would be a good guess
Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman5011 View Post
What happens to these cages when a hurricane comes through. They are going to be moved way away with the current. They cannot weigh a lot. Just curious.
All structures will get moved around during storms. Just curious on yours and their weight.
That's not true about moving a reef from a storm. Tires and light stuff will move. The other heavier stuff just gets picked up and smashed down with each passing giant swell from a hurricane. If its concrete it makes a hole and after the storm passes it is covered up in time from the shifting sands. Car bodies the same they just get smashed up and buried. Before Ivan came through I had cars that were sitting on the wheels. A month after the storm the only thing visible in the same spot was the hood of the car that was in 70 ft. Deeper they don't get quite as much pounding.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in