Positions of wrecks - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Like Tree11Likes

Old 06-20-2014, 03:09 AM   #1
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Default Positions of wrecks

I'm fairly new to saltwater fishing and have managed to download (thanks to PFF) a whole slew of public spots into my GPS.

In my few times out this year one problem I have encountered is knowing the position in which the various wrecks lie. All I have is a GPS number which I can only hope indicates the center of the wreck. I can attempt to figure it out by cruising around the site until I get an idea which way it lies so I know how to try to anchor so the wind/current puts me over the wreck ... which often isn't easy and I'm sure all that idling around a site can be annoying to anyone else who might already be anchored there.

For example .... Coal Barges; Russian Freighter; The Mass; Pete Tide, etc. Does the wreck lie East to West; North to South; Southeast to Southwest, etc? I haven't a clue on some of them.

Is there a list anywhere indicating the positions in which the various wrecks lie?

If you need music on the beach, you're missing the point.

Last edited by AndyS; 06-20-2014 at 03:12 AM.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
Grand Slam

You have the numbers just go fish them and you will learn to read a fathometer and tell which direction they lay. When you get a rise on the fathometer its the wreck. put a buoy in and figure the directions. Figuring the currents is an even harder thing that TIME will be the only teacher.
Reelfun27 and THONAS J. RYAN like this.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to amarcafina Send a message via MSN to amarcafina

yep , you'll have to figure that out your self.. Experience is a great learning tool.
Hook and THONAS J. RYAN like this.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Okay ... so long as you guys don't mind me putting all around the wreck for 45 minutes before I anchor while you're trying to fish Or I could just anchor and dive it to figure it out ... then come back up & reposition.

I like to watch my bottom machine as much as the next guy, but just thought it'd be nice to have some idea already when I got there to minimize that sort of activity .... why I asked.

Last edited by AndyS; 06-20-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
White Marlin

Don't worry about it we all had to go through the same thing. It gives the rest of us something to watch while we are anchored and not catching fish. We are just saying "what the @#@## is that $#@$$ AH doing? Can't he anchor a dang boat!
2RC's II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RC's II View Post
Don't worry about it we all had to go through the same thing. It gives the rest of us something to watch while we are anchored and not catching fish. We are just saying "what the @#@## is that $#@$$ AH doing? Can't he anchor a dang boat!
Now you know.

(and don't blame the not-catching-fish on the divers ... we know you weren't catching 'em before they got there either )

Old 06-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
RMS
Grouper

When I visit a new potential fishing site I like to idle around and identify the perimeter of a vessel or "piles" if it is rubble or multiple objects for a few minutes. Then I figure the drift heading for the present day and start drift fishing on varying paths and mark any additional structure found as I stumble across it. I can have as many as a dozen waypoints on a large wreck, outlining its profile.
This process works best anytime it is not snapper season when there are too many folks trying to fish the same spot all at the same time.

I learned how to fish structure by going on and observing charter boats (professionals). I've hardly ever seen a professional captain anchor on a wreck. They almost always hold/drift. So I have experimented with both, and currently I never anchor on a spot, I always hold/drift. Just my preference.
IMO, Screwing with an anchor is a waste of fishing time, and why limit myself to only fish that are occupying 25 x 9 feet of ocean. I don't waste much time at a wreck if I don't get bit within 5-10 minutes max.

3 or 4 boats can drift fish a small wreck , and a dozen can fish a large one by establishing a rotation across the wreck. As soon as one boat anchors, it marginalizes everybody else that wants to fish a small wreck, and two or three anchored boats pretty much tie up a large wreck. Dive boats are a different matter. I realize they usually need to anchor as a matter of safety, and I always respect their circumstances.

This is the way I do it and I don't expect everyone else to agree, and for me, life is too short to argue about it.

Good luck, and Peace Out!
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
Sailfish

get a side imaging machine preferable humminbird and when u make ur first pass u can see how it sits. worked great for me good luck
Redtracker likes this.

http://www.bayoujoes.com/

Team Hoo's ur Savior Hillcrest Baptist Church
inshorecatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Sailfish

If I remember correctly, both the Mass and the Freighter lie east to west/west to east.
BigRed38 likes this.
and be nothing.”—Aristotle
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhackUmStackUm View Post
If I remember correctly, both the Mass and the Freighter lie east to west/west to east.
Thanks, WhackUm.

I knew the Mass but that will be helpful on the Russian Freighter when I get out there (soon I'm hoping.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in