Pensacola bay reefs - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Like Tree1Likes

Old 12-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Pensacola bay reefs

Saturday morning, on the "Florida Sportsman" radio show(WEBY 1330 am), Robert Turpin announced that the Pensacola Bay reefs would be "in the water by Christmas!". Anyone know any other details? Are these concrete pyramids? Behind Portifino or Pickens Parking lot?
Mike
mkpitts6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
Trigger

May be the rubble from the old bridge
wetley49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
White Marlin

Thats awesome!!! Can't wait to hear more
www.southagain.com
www.pensacolafishcharters.com
[email protected]
Inshore/Nearshore Charters
Brad King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
Trigger

i would be very curious to find coordinates when the drop the reefs so i have them to use in a few years
thecalmbeforethestorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
Grand Slam

I was on my way offshore last week and heard the reefmaker on the VHF saying he was heading out. I don't have any idea where or what he was doing or going.
sealark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Trigger

Default reefs by the shore.

The reef maker was deploying reefs for private individuals evidently as they do that also.
The reefs that you all are talking about had to be made first which takes some time and then in the winter the only way to deploy what needs to be deployed is to have a north wind for 3-6 days so as to be able to position those reefs exactly as the contract specifies.
All that post and use this forum as a source of knowledge to fish in their chosen region need to realize that from the time you hear of reefs being considered to the actual deployment can be a lengthly process. The actual "publishing" of the coordinates can be even longer due to the actual way the contract was written and progressed. Mother Nature is ALWAYS one of the biggest factors in this. I can assure you that "The Reef Maker" out of Orange Beach will always "proceed with due diligence" in deploying whether it be for an individual or a State or Federal agency.
I live in Alabama and am at this point "jealous" of all the opportunities that will be afforded to Florida inshore and offshore fishermen and women in the future. I have watched for many years as we in Alabama became the "most successful" Artificial Reef Program in the United States and believe me I keep up with both states as I deploy "MANY" reefs every year! My suggestion is to be patient and those of you in Northwest Florida call Robert Turpin and express your gratitude!
Capt. Mike Lilly
capt mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Trigger

Default Maybe I goofed?

When I answered that reply I was referring to a specific contract- What you guys in Northwest Florida don't realize is that their is more than one contract up for -bids-pricing-deployment-etc! Their is bids and deployments on the table for reefs inside P'Cola Bay and outside it also.
Now lets talk about Escambia Marine Services- they evidently should be in your itinerary as they ALSO haul reefs offshore and they are based in Pensacola! They provided BP with a source to "haul" what all of you don't want to even talk about and that is Oil Recovery. I have heard all the people on this website gripe about "who got what and who was where and when" folks thats over and I myself as a Reef Maker am glad that we emerged with the two reef makers-deployers we had before BP uprooted our lives!
I guess what I am trying to say is- GOOD THINGS ARE ON THE HORIZON FOR US!!!!! Realize it and be upbeat about it! I don't care if you fish off Gulf Shores Pier (there are reefs placed by the state right off the pier for you to experience a greater number of species" and in many other areas the plans are being made to "restore" our fisheries to what we all call "The good ole days". Be patient be KNOWLEDGEBLE!
Capt. Mike Lilly
capt mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
Trigger

i had no clue that you had to position a reef directly to the specs that the state calls for.... i thought you would just get permission from the state and drop them bad boys ... why does it have to be positioned a certain way ?
Chapman5011 likes this.
thecalmbeforethestorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
Trigger

Offshore placement is not as important as those placed in the close quarters of the bay; with shipping lanes, national seashore, military interests. This is, in my opinion, something that has to go right for future opportunities. The reefs off the Gulf State pier are the cylindrical "stack" reefs placed by the reefmaker. Is that correct? Are those accessible to dive/snorkeling? Doing something of that nature off P'cola Beach pier has been mentioned for years, but always meets resistance. Portofino reefs aside, it would be a great attraction for diving with the facilities at the pier area making it easy for locals and visitors alike, as our area is in desperate need for that kind of resource.
ryanbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
Trigger

Do people fish these reefs from the pier? If so, would you really want to risk getting a hook in your booty?
wetley49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in