Party boat gear - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Old 09-20-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Party boat gear

Looking for some advice on fishing on a party boat. I have a Shimano tekota 700 and a Penn Fathom 40 both have 40 lb mono will these work? I am going on. 12 hr trip on Sweet Jody. I would like to know if this gear will work and what type of terminal tackle I should use, hooks, weights, flouro. I have used these Rod's in the past for Mahi and tuna but I know bottom fishing is different. Not allowed braid. Thank you for any advice rendered.
Fletch22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
Blue Marlin

I fish on the American Spirit often, use a Penn 500 jigmaster with 40# mono with a 2 hook (aka high-low rig) for b-liners and other smaller fish. My other rod is a 4/0 with 60# braid ( they allow braid on the Spirit, don't really like for you to use it) and a 7/0 circle hook on 80# leader. Most of the time I use a 10 oz sinker on my 2 hook rig unless the current is running. The heavy rig uses a 14-16 oz.

Is this 12 hour in October? If so, you need one heavy rod with at least 60#. September is rodeo month, the head boats usually fish their best places looking for a bragging rights size fish.

Last edited by Sea-r-cy; 09-20-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Sea-r-cy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2016, 10:44 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Default Head boat

Yes it is for the rodeo we are going out on the 2nd. If nothing else we can use the boat reels. Was just wondering if my gear I own now would work.
Fletch22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Default About the line

I called the sweet jody fishing for their gear set. They said they normally use the 80lb mono and two hook chicken rig, the circle hook size varies..... I plan to use 50lb mono as mainline and 80lb fluorocarbon as leader. I think 40lb mono mainline is ok and you can use 50lb or 60lb fluorocarbon as leader. I also make a 12hour fishing reservation on Oct 2nd. See you there
xjh2862087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch22 View Post
Yes it is for the rodeo we are going out on the 2nd. If nothing else we can use the boat reels. Was just wondering if my gear I own now would work.
I called the sweet jody fishing for their gear set. They said they normally use the 80lb mono and two hook chicken rig, the circle hook size varies..... I plan to use 50lb mono as mainline and 80lb fluorocarbon as leader. I think 40lb mono mainline is ok and you can use 50lb or 60lb fluorocarbon as leader. I also make a 12hour fishing reservation on Oct 2nd. See you there
Old 09-21-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch22 View Post
Fot the circle hook size, I think you can prepare from #2 to #8. The bank sinker weight normally is about 12oz and you could bring your own. Braid is not allowed. Because you use the dropper loop for the hook and you can easily change the size of the hook.If there are big fish underneath, #8 is good for fight the grouper. If you want to target mingo or porgy, #2 or #3 is fine.

Last edited by xjh2862087; 09-21-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
Snapper

Default Why is braid not allowed?

Are they concerned it will get caught up in the prop and shaft? I use 120 braid offshore, 100# mono leader, and a single or double circle hook rig. (I work off of rigs, so the abrasion and depth are the reason I use braid) I can also feel the bite much better with braid. Just curious.

Bob
boatnbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnbob View Post
Are they concerned it will get caught up in the prop and shaft? I use 120 braid offshore, 100# mono leader, and a single or double circle hook rig. (I work off of rigs, so the abrasion and depth are the reason I use braid) I can also feel the bite much better with braid. Just curious.

Bob
no braid because it is alot harder on the mates to untangle and a little more dangerous for them to deal with around alot of unexperienced Anglers
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2016, 01:41 AM   #9
Snapper

Besides destroying seals and cutting mate's fingers off...Braid will cut off 20 other lines. Braid will cut through mono like butter. Braid is the devil, but it is a necessary devil for tuna on spinning rods, and deep dropping. Beyond that it is just a headache. Old school dacron is better for grouper than braid IMO.
SnapperSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #10
Whizzed off realist
White Marlin

Aside from the above listed reasons, braid wrapped up in a drive shaft will cause alot of damage to cutlass bearings. And anyone who has fished on a party boat knows that lines occaisionally get sucked into the wheels. Sometimes, it's nobody's fault, but it still happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in