New Lionfish law - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Like Tree1Likes

Old 07-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
Mingo

Default New Lionfish law

http://www.al.com/news/beaches/index...g_live_li.html

I could not think of a better example of 2 little 2 late. At this point you could intenionally release every lionfish in captivity in the state and only make an Infinitesimal increase in the already established population. Not sure what they think they will acomplish when both coast of Florida are already overrun by these things.
Yakin_it_up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Well another way to look at it if you cant import them it will be another way for Local Divers to make money catching Baby lion fish for the aquarium trade. I have seen a couple small ones while Diving here in Pensacola. Go get them. Just go get a SPL license and it would be legal to sell them and would cut down on the population as if it will do any good in the long run. I use to make a few bucks selling beau gregories and seargent majors back in the 60s. Lots of fun.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
Mingo

I did not consider that angle. I saw import ban and assumed that ment you could not sell them live. But that would be a clever way to create a market for them if that is what they are thinking. They should apply that to the US and say only Lionfish caught in US waters can be sold in the aquarium trade. Its got to be cheaper that shipping from the pacific anyway.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Trigger

Not a good idea. Impact would be insignificant and would create a market for live not dead lionfish.
snake 166 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake 166 View Post
Not a good idea. Impact would be insignificant and would create a market for live not dead lionfish.
Stupid statement, The only thing it would do is put a few dollars in someones pocket for doing something constructive. Nothing will impact lionfish they are here forever. And in time will reach equilibriem with nature. Over kill them and they will overproduce. It's called evolution.
Redtracker likes this.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake 166 View Post
Read up on yellow tangs in Hawaii to see what the aquarium trade can do to fish populations. There are plenty of examples besides that one as well. Why does it matter if the market is for live or dead fish? Either way they are coming off the reef.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Yea, catchem for the aquarium trade.
Then wait for them to get dumped back into the local waters when they get too big or bored with them being the only fish in their tank.
johnsonbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

The state of Florida is still not serious about eradicating them.

If they were, there would be no regulations, permitting or restrictions of any sort.
Open season by any means at anytime.
Period.
But no, the state always has to get their pound of flesh.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
Grand Slam

There is no regulations on taking them. Most likely never will. Only reg is on importing them.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
Blue Marlin

Yes there are:
http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/r...onal/lionfish/
oops, I mean there will be Aug. 1st

__________________________________________________ ___________
Increasing opportunities that will allow participants in approved tournaments and other organized events to spear lionfish or other invasive species in areas where spearfishing is not allowed. This will be done through a permitting system.
Licensing Requirements

A recreational fishing license is not required for recreational fishers targeting lionfish while using a pole spear, a Hawaiian Sling, a handheld net or any spearing device that is specifically designed and marketed exclusively for lionfish.
A recreational fishing license (unless exempt) is required for all other methods of harvesting lionfish including hook and line.
The sale of commercially harvested lionfish requires a saltwater products license.
A permit is required to harvest lionfish in the no-take zones of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Permits are issued by the Sanctuary following training given by the Sanctuary and the Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF).
Gear Requirements

Legal Gear: hook and line, spear, hand-held nets and any otherwise legal harvest gear
Spears may not be used:
  • Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.
  • Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea - except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.
  • In Monroe County from Long Key north to the Miami-Dade County line.
  • In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Recreation and Parks (Florida Park Service). Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.
  • Other spearfishing rules may apply under Special Acts of Local Application.
Harvest by hand-held nets is allowed in all of these situations.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in