Mangrove snapper on public numbers? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Like Tree2Likes

Old 06-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Question Mangrove snapper on public numbers?

Hi,
I have 21 ft Maverick Master Angler and I would like to do some fishing for mangroves. Does anyone know of any public numbers that are within 5-6 miles of the Panama City Beach jetties that have mangroves.

I was going to try fishing with chum to try and get them up in the water column during the day first and if that doesnt work out try at night when the winds have laid down.

With out knowing what was holding the mangroves I was going to try the Red Sea Tug, Liberty Ship, Midway Boxcars, Chickasaw

Any other tips would be appreciated it.

Happy trails, Mike
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
eating tasty
White Marlin

They are easier to catch at night. It's going to be hard to pick through all the red snapper offshore. I would try right around the jetties with a live shrimp at night.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Question

Thank you. Should I try to anchor and chum them or are you saying to just freeline shrimp on a small circle hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
They are easier to catch at night. It's going to be hard to pick through all the red snapper offshore. I would try right around the jetties with a live shrimp at night.
Happy trails, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Grouper

Iv'e shot lots of them off of the reef ball and pyramids in Mexico Beach if you want to take a trip a little further down the road from PC.

Grady-White 257 / Twin F150's
PCfisher66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Thumbs up

Thank you for the tip Tod. I am quickly learning that divers are the ones who know where the fish are.

Are those spots near shore and are they public numbers?

With the wind blowing the way it has been I think I might try the jetties. It would suck to trailer down to Mexico Beach and have the wind blowin' 9 O.
Happy trails, Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCfisher66 View Post
Iv'e shot lots of them off of the reef ball and pyramids in Mexico Beach if you want to take a trip a little further down the road from PC.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
White Marlin

Anybody ever tried catching em at night off of reefs? Especially MB? I tried going out there to a couple of reefs that I know hold fish in the day. I could see the reefs easily on my bottom machine, but ZERO fish on any of the reefs we looked at? Next morning, they were covered in fish... Never did drop a line at night. We had a crew member that was getting seasick every time we stopped. It was 2-4 and not being able to see the horizon well was bothering him.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
Trigger

run 6 or 7 miles west or to Fountain Bleau.... look around 1-3 miles off of the beach. There are trash piles, hard bottom, boxcars and bridge spans out there. Fish the hardbottom marks and chum. Mangroves anywhere from 5-12 pound all over out there if you do it right. long 20 lb floro leaders, no weight and drift small baits with tiny circle hooks back in the chum. Dont over feed the fish.... just get them up top
Mullethead likes this.
standrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I've had really good luck at liberty at night or early morning....right at dusk. Chum line and 20lb Fluor. Once you get them up flatline little pieces of bait in the chum line
Mryin334 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
Grouper

MikeF, yes those were the public numbers only a few miles from the canal. Now I will say that some of the balls held only red snapper with a couple of gags thrown in and other there was only mangrove, it was strange. Mangrove do not venture far from their home where as reds swim all over the place. I've fished at night there too, throw a light in the water and watch the squid swarm all over the place. Catch one and drop it back down, easy catch'n. PM Sent

Grady-White 257 / Twin F150's
PCfisher66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCfisher66 View Post
I've fished at night there too, throw a light in the water and watch the squid swarm all over the place. Catch one and drop it back down, easy catch'n. PM Sent
Squid on the car bodies? I thought they were much farther offshore. how do you catch them? With one of those funky squid jigs?

Once caught and dropping him back in... dead or alive, whole or cut up.
When unhooking live squid, anything to watch for? I know they have a beak, do they bite aggressivly or just if you get near it.

Last thing, are these squid edible? Some good ol campfire calamari after getting home.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in