Man made Reefs - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Old 01-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Man made Reefs

As a Southern California fisherman, I am wondering who supports the man made/ artificial reef programs in Florida. In this region, we do have some artificial reefs that hold a lot of fish and good sport fish at times, but these reefs were created in the late 1970s and in the 1980s and there has not been any new ones added since.

I have heard that Florida has a lot of artificial reefs and designed wrecks to reefs. What's the deal with this, who pays or supports these projects? I wish there could be more here in Southern California, especially with the closures we have now.
Tin Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

Artificial reef programs are run on a county by county basis for the most part. Sometimes counties will band together in support of getting a large ship sunk in an area that would benefit multiple places.

There are several private (recreational if you will) groups that deploy smaller, personal artificial reefs for individual anglers and also some regional groups that will work on funding sources and resource/material allocation.

Sometimes, if the reef is big enough, there will be funding through tourism marketing dollars - Florida plays on the fishing tourism a lot more than California.

I would look into your state/county regulations on private artificial reefs (probably not allowed) and try to go that route.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
Sailfish

Here are a couple of resource:Whackum
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the comeback. I know here in Ca we have the Ca Coast Commission and Fish and Game, but I think it's the extreme environmentalist and other interest groups that prevent further development of artificial reefs here, in addition to a lack of funding.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

I think you will find its mostly a blockade by the green groups as opposed to funding. I'm sure the dive community would love to sink an aircraft carrier off Newport or La Jolla and there's plenty of private funding in those areas if you're looking for it.

But fighting the enviros will be you big hurdle.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeZ View Post
I think you will find its mostly a blockade by the green groups as opposed to funding. I'm sure the dive community would love to sink an aircraft carrier off Newport or La Jolla and there's plenty of private funding in those areas if you're looking for it.

But fighting the enviros will be you big hurdle.
You're probably right, a lot of greenies in CA. In fact, before The MLPA ( fishing closures) went into affect, many people in favor of the closures wanted to no human contact in the water off of Laguna Beach, crazy.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

That's wild. I believe it though. Start with your Coast Commission and see what they say.

The Army Corps of Engineers - not your state or local governments - will ultimately determine what is allowable to be reefed and what is not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in